Marketing & Media trends
BizTrends 2019 trends
Marketing & Media jobs
- Senior Strategist - Below the Line Johannesburg
- Account Manager Johannesburg
- Junior Art Director Cape Town
- Midweight Print Production Manager Johannesburg
- General Manager Johannesburg
- Advertising Sales Executive - Highbury Media Cape Town
- Website Designer Johannesburg
- Advertising/Promotions Coordinator Johannesburg
- Digital Campaign Manager Cape Town
- Senior Account Manager Johannesburg
#BizTrends2019: Is your organisation transformed enough to get customer experience (CX) right?
Forrester.com/Predictions3 observed that in 2018 few businesses made real gains across CX indices. Most businesses continue to plateau and some fell. Of the CX professionals interviewed, 89% state that customer experience ROI is not well established in their organisations. The reason offered for the dismal performance is the mismatch between what CX needs to do and what it is permitted to do - a trend that is predicted to continue in 2019. Forrester predicts that 20% of brands will give up on strategic CX initiatives and resort to price reduction for short-term gains. A sad conclusion considering the commercial opportunity presented by engaging the right effort to get CX right.
A Convesocial and Corinium study on CX trends for 2019,4 specifically covering North America and Europe, shows that the top five barriers to improving CX is achieving a single view of the customer (41%), followed by achieving a consistent customer experience across all channels (35%), lack of C-suite buy-in at 21% and employee engagement at 20%. The extent of CX influence over other departments differed by department.
These findings suggest that there is a lot of room for CX strategy to be elevated in organisations. Organisations may need to transform their business strategy development practices to integrate CX strategy and drive single-mindedness across departments on the delivery of CX. Yet, 39% of these organisations believed that changing the organisational structure will improve CX, while 50% did not believe so and 11% were not sure. This suggests that companies may be faced with some cognitive dissonance preventing them from leveraging CX opportunities, which is unfortunate because three key human trends are likely to increase in importance in 2019 and underpin customer experience transformation. These are:
- an increasing need for businesses and brands to align to a deeper social and customer purpose.
- increasing employee engagement to be able to attract talent and deliver to that purpose.
- creating a customer-centric culture across the organisation to become more responsive and agile.
Similarly, CX strategy is unlikely to succeed if senior executive buy-in is still cited as one of the top four barriers to CX improvement. Increasingly shareholder return is reliant on how an organisation views and manages CX because there is now a strong causal link between the way a brand is experienced and financial returns. Consequently, if it is not already, CX should be elevated to become a board responsibility.
The vision, leadership and implementation necessary for the organisation to transform into a truly customer-centric organisation needs to come from the top, with the rest of the organisation empowered with the resources they need to give your organisation the Experience Advantage it needs to thrive.
1Global Monitor, KantarTNS
2Capgemini (2017). The Disconnected Customer: What digital customer experience leaders teach us about reconnecting with customers: Press
3Forrester (2018). Predictions 2019: Transformation goes pragmatic
4Convesocial and Corinium (2018). Customer Experience Trends for 2019: Building the Organization of the Future
5Nene Molefi (2017). A journey of Diversity & Inclusion in South Africa: Guidelines for leading inclusively. Republic of South Africa: KR Publishing
About the author
Kantar's press office
- Resilient brands defy macroeconomic challenges in the 2019 BrandZ Top 30 Most Valuable SA Brands 5 Sep 2019
- Kantar announces South Africa's Top 20 Best Liked Ads for 2018 10 Jul 2019
- Accelerated growth sees Amazon crowned 2019's BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brand 11 Jun 2019
- Kantar announces South Africa's Top 10 Best Liked Ads for Q3 and Q4 2018 5 Jun 2019
- Sign up for our webinar | The emotional power of purpose in advertising - the pitfalls and potential 7 May 2019