Ogilvy & Mather SA scored its third radio Grand Prix in four years on Friday night at the 2017 Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity.
The supreme accolade in global advertising went to Ogilvy & Mather Johannesburg for the KFC Double down ‘Sad Man Meal’ campaign. The KFC radio work also won Gold & Bronze Lions.
Last year Ogilvy received a radio Grand Prix for the same client.
Ogilvy Johannesburg MD Alistair Mokoena said such a Cannes haul over two years for one brand was “nothing short of astonishing and a real testament to the awesome partnership that has been built up over the years between us and KFC which has driven a real courage to experiment.”
Mike Middleton, CMO of KFC/Yum Foods, echoed the sentiment and said the quality of the work was the result of a long-term partnership and genuine trust.
Mokoena also expressed his delight at a prized Gold Lion in film for the agency for Cadbury Bubbly ‘Pre-Joy’, noting that winning in the film category (especially one created specifically for digital media use) in our fragmented world of modern marketing, is really exciting.
ECD Mariana O’Kelly paid tribute to the creative team on the KFC campaign of Molefi Thulo, David Krueger and Tammy Ratter and highlighted the continuing relevance of radio to the South African market: “It remains such an important medium in this country and it can provide a wonderful canvas for creativity.”
Ogilvy SA was also shortlisted in the Cyber, Design and Entertainment categories for Mondelez, Volkswagen SA and MTV Africa.
Chief Creative Officer Pete Case said he was proud of the breadth of work getting acknowledgement on the world stage and he was ecstatic about another Grand Prix for such a significant and long-standing client: “One Grand Prix is a lifetime achievement for any creative team or marketer, so two feels like an extra special moment.” Ogilvy SA Awards:
- Radio Grand Prix – KFC Double down ‘Sad Man Meal’ - 'Long Red Thin Shape', 'Repeat the Punchline' and 'No one cheerses' (campaign)
- Radio Gold Lion – KFC Double down ‘Sad Man Meal’ - 'Long Red Thin Shape', 'Repeat the Punchline' and 'No one cheerses' (campaign)
- Film Gold Lion - Cadbury Bubbly 'Pre-Joy', with production by Bomb Films, sound and composition by Howard Music, post-production work by Minis-try of Illusion and media by Starcom Worldwide
- Radio Bronze Lion – KFC Virgin Mojito - 'Preschool Concert in a Dark Jacket', 'Welding Mask on a Plane', 'Costume for the Carpool' (campaign)
- Cyber – Cadbury Pre-Joy - Mondelez
- Entertainment – Polo 011 Beats - Volkswagen SA
- Design – #Let’sTalkColour – MTV Africa