Marketing & Media trends
Marketing & Media trends
- Andrew Smit and Johan Walters
Construction & Engineering trends
CSI & Sustainability trends
- Christelle Marais
- Innocent Masayira
- Nazeema Mohamed, Feryal Domingo and Soraya Joonas
- Keri-Leigh Paschal
- Siphelele Kubheka and Desikan Naidoo
Energy & Mining trends
- Dominique Collett
- Andrew Duvenage,
- Maarten Ackerman
- Kuhle Mnisi
- Marius Botha
- Nema Ramkhelawan-Bhana
- Mike Middleton
- Henry van Deventer
HR & Management trends
- Samantha Naidoo
- Jonathan Veeran, Nozipho Mngomezulu and Burton Phillips
Logistics & Transport trends
- Joff van Reenen
- Marcél du Toit
- Alex Glenday
- Jonathan Smit
- Nthabiseng Motsoeneng
- Vilo Trska
- All South Africans will be able to register for the Covid-19 vaccine from 16 April through the electronic vaccination data system (EVDS).
- Tributes are pouring in for Dr Sindi van Zyl. The much-loved healthcare activist, DJ and social media influencer lost her battle to Covid-19 on 10 April.
- The CCMA recently reinstated an employee who took leave without permission during the Covid-19 lockdown, in a ruling which delivers an important lesson for other employers. Mpumelelo Nxumalo, Nivaani Moodley, Shane Johnson and Kgololego Pooe
- 365 Digital signs exclusive partnership agreement with TikTok in South Africa
- 13th annual Bookmark Awards - announcement of the 2021 jury chairs and jury panels
- #StartupStory: BlueAvo to tackle inequality in the media industry
- Rapt Creative wins Molson Coors, opens offices in the UK and Ukraine
- #Newsmaker: Thando Mafongosi, Grey Group Advertising's new strategy director
- PoPI Act readiness: 6 things to do
- Back to business as usual for South Africa's airlines at last
Marketing & Media jobs
More...Submit a jobOpen account
- Digital Designer Cape Town
- Senior Paid Media Specialist Cape Town
- Account Manager Remote
- Social Media Manager Durban
- Senior Traffic Manager Johannesburg
- Front-End Digital Designer Cape Town
- Senior Digital Art Director Johannesburg
- PR Account Manager Johannesburg
- PR Account Manager Crisis Comms Johannesburg
- Senior Conceptual Art Director Johannesburg
[2013 trends] Opportunities for growth within marketing and advertising arena
There are a few trends to be aware of in 2013 which will help create opportunities within the advertising and marketing arena in South Africa. A number of these come from local and international intelligence.
Speed becoming crucial
The speed required to market, produce and get the work into the public domain is becoming crucial. Research and pre-testing could slow this process down.
Thus, it is advisable that agencies turn their attention towards refining the research process right and implementing measures that would increase efficiency. While these developments are underway, agencies must maintain their integrity in order to match the deliverables to their clients.
Measurement of the efficacy of a campaign
Access to data technology assists agencies to measure the results and impact of a campaign effectively. This means that the analysis of data is becoming more of a necessity and is frequently required by clients to measure the return on their investment.
A great creative advertisement is becoming more valuable than ordinary advertisements
It is easy to get wrapped up in data, but a great creative advertisement is still a great advertisement, and the agency of the future will still be producing great television ads.
"Television is not dead." More people are watching television than ever before. Yes, they also watch advertisements on social media platforms, but television is the social glue for many communities in a way that other screens are not.
The relationship between a client and an agency is becoming more important during tough times. As an intermediary, I have noticed that clients have come to rely on their business partnerships and that their relationship with the agency is thus more important.
Clients are more likely to create a long-lasting relationship with an agency, providing that they receive the deliverables that they outlined on the onset of the relationship.
Emergence of new agencies
New agencies are beginning to emerge since the end of the recession. A lot of people might have moved on or broken away and created their own advertising agencies.
These gives clients more choice, creates a bigger pool of creative perspectives, knowledge and expertise, and creates for an exciting and more competitive market place.
The rush is now over; companies were rushing to be on social media platforms so they would not be left behind. Stakeholders are now being considered. Social media is heading toward a more strategic and intentional approach. Successful campaigns should last for 12 months and are measured according to how they are aligned to the business strategy and objectives.
Also, social media platforms such as LinkedIn are underused and can be the determining factor within the professional networking landscape. At the talk at the 2012 Global Social Media Summit in London, it was highlighted that LinkedIn hosts 64 million professionals on its network. Its main aim is to link talent and opportunity on a massive scale; accessing this network is crucial for business.
Renaissance of the direct mailer
The advent of newer and more effective online and digital technology is allowing for direct mailers to become more focused, measured, instant and cheaper.
Agencies can communicate thought-leading information and their vision to manage their relationships with prospective and existing clients through this medium. They can be contacted via email and allow for analytics to become more pronounced in terms of the market place.
About Johanna McDowellJohanna McDowell counsels clients and agencies around expectations in the advertising, marketing process. She is CEO of the Independent Agency Search and Selection Company (IAS) and managing partner for SCOPEN in the UK and South Africa. Contact Johanna on tel +27 (0)10 594 0281, email her at az.oc.noitcelesycnega@annahoj and follow her on Twitter at @jomcdowell.
Read more: analytics, client-agency relationships, efficiency, measurement, Biz Trends Report, Biz Trends 2013, biztrends, 2013 Biz Trends, efficacy