IAB Bookmarks Awards and Summit
Marketing & Media jobs
- Conceptual Copywriter Cape Town
- Social Media Community Manager Cape Town
- Pattern Maker Durban
- Digital Marketing Intern Cape Town
- Social Media/Content Manager Johannesburg
- Content Marketing Intern Johannesburg
- Senior Designer Cape Town
- Mid Graphic/Digital Designer Cape Town
- BCom Graduate – Trade Marketing Assistant Cape Town
- Junior Designer Cape Town
#IABSummit19: Gareth Lloyd to speak on going beyond the click
As a researcher, I’m really looking forward to understanding what burning business questions various groups within the industry have. We add these onto our long list of interesting things to research.
The talk aims at quantifying and showcasing the value of digital mobile advertising. Mobile advertising is still relatively new and we need to get a better understanding of how it works using well-established marketing frameworks.
Most importantly, however, the talk intends to show the greater holistic value that mobile digital advertising provides over and above simple clicks on ad units. By using new and novel digital solutions, we are able to show the broader value provided by digital publishers, hopefully shifting people’s thinking about digital advertising beyond simple short-term, performance-based outcomes.
24.com is Africa’s largest digital publisher and hosts some of South Africa’s most commonly visited websites such as News24, Sport24, Fin24, Netwerk24 etc. My role is to primarily manage, organise and provide insights into the data we collate. The objective is to improve the quality and performance of digital advertising, journalism and overall customer experience.
The audience should take away a few quick guides on what mobile ad units to use when running campaigns with specific or a range of objectives, as well as have a better understanding of how targeting produces different effects and how.
CTR and its relation to brand uplift will be examined.
The audience should get a good understanding of new metrics that measure campaign performance so that digital marketers are more able to show a more comprehensive picture of the value that they add for brands.
The publishing industry has placed considerable emphasis on digital transformation and in comparison to many other industries in South Africa, it is more advanced and mature.
The biggest challenge the digital publishing industry faces is to adapt and refine its underlying business model. Many well-known publishers abroad are realising the limitations of relying predominantly on advertising as a revenue stream. As a result, digital publishers that produce trustworthy, quality content at scale are required to look to alternative revenue streams. The optimal business model is still very much a work in progress.
The new now means capitalising as best we can on the momentous opportunity that digital transformation provides through better understanding of how it works and how it affects us, but it also means facing up to the challenges it poses:
- An open protocol gives rise to bad actors who have contributed to the current problem of ‘the dirty web’ (fake news, spam, malicious ads, viruses, hacking).
- The internet scales at a rate that is faster than our capacity to address current problems with it (i.e. these problems will extend to the internet of things as devices become more connected).
- Centralisation and monopolies are a threat to the democratisation of data and the transparency of its utilisation.
- With the current open protocol foundation of the internet, existing centralisation (information and market share accruing to a few dominant actors) will intensify as the usefulness and power of data escalate with the adoption of AI. This is because those with the largest repositories of data on people will become even more powerful and socially integrated as AI becomes embedded in everyday life (in other words, those who have the most information about us will be able to find the best use cases for AI outputs).
- The new now requires a clear vision on accepting and addressing these issues, many of which require strong ethical decisions to be made.
Book your ticket here or to learn more about Gareth Lloyd, the study, the programme, event sponsors and the lineup of the day, visit the event website and remember, IAB members get a discount! The 5th Annual IAB Summit19 is brought to you by DStv Media, Accenture Interactive and partners: Newsclip, G-Star, Media 24, Tiso Black Star, Business Live, The South African, Spark Media, Adjoin, Social Lab and Bizcommunity.