Pareto has achieved a five-star Green Star SA Interiors V1 certification issued by the Green Building Council of South Africa, which demonstrates leadership and commitment in the sustainability programme. The office, as a high-performance tenant space is a healthy, productive place to work, less costly to operate and maintain and has a reduced environ-mental footprint.
The offices were designed according to the Biophilia framework to optimise the user’s productivity and satisfaction through the organisation’s work style, processes and space program and design. The project targeted an innovation point for including biophilia within the design, which encourages and recognises the inclusion of initiatives to bridge the divide between the natural and built environments.
This is shown in the custom designed interior fit-out and has the following sustainable building features:
- Makes use of daylight harvesting to offset electrical lighting
- Furniture assembles and flooring are responsibly sourced
- Fresh air rate is supplied at a minimum of 12.5l/s/person for 100% of the usable area
- Most lights have been fitted with motion sensors. Minimal hot water suppliers will be integrated into the building. The lighting power density for 95% of the UA is less than 1.5W/m2 per 100 Lux at 720 mm AFL with a default maintenance factor of 0.8
- Water closets, urinals and tape fixtures all reduce water consumption. WCs and urinals all fitted with actuators to reduce and control water consumption
- Adhesives, sealants and carpets have low VOC emissions
- Integrated BMS system records and logs all energy and water usage within the building and can be displayed in real-time
- Indoor plant requirements exceeded in the well-designed space
To reflect Pareto’s ethos and to promote user health and wellness, the spaces were designed for restoration and relief from mental fatigue and stress.