This simple baked butternut and chickpea cutlet combination combines both West Africa and India flavour, making it a deliciously warm treat for your tastebuds.
Yields 5-6 portions
For the cutlets
• One packed cup of drained chickpeas
• One packed cup of drained and cooked butternut
• One medium onion, chopped
• One tablespoon pickled jalapeno, chopped
• 1/4 cup of canola oil
• Two Tablespoons of lemon juice
• Sea salt to taste
• 3/4 cup of cake flour
• Two teaspoons of baking powder
1. Sauté onions and jalapenos in a pan with some oil till cooked.
2. Blend all the wet ingredients together, with the butternut, chickpea and onion mixture.
3. Mix the dry ingredients and add it to blender.
4. Mix till incorporated.
5. Pour into muffin or mini loaf moulds - leave space for rising.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 180ºC.
For the sauce
• Four tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
• Three tablespoons of tomato paste
• Three tablespoons of maple syrup/ standard syrup
• One tablespoon of medium curry powder
• One cup of vegetable flavoured stock
1. Mix well and bring slightly to the boil.
2. Turn down heat and pour over the cutlets.Recipe from Pieter Kotze for HSI / AfricaMore Green Monday Recipes.