The Shopper Insights briefing, set to take place in Johannesburg on 7 November 2018, will unpack the key shopper trends that brands should tap into to get ahead in the retail space.
Organised by Marketing Mix, the event will deliver research-based insights from a host of astute shopper marketers on topics ranging from immersive shopper experiences and impulse purchase triggers, to connecting with the youth and the role of customer data science in marketing.
"In SA online is not yet a significant force, but discounting is and more and more shoppers are using their mobile devices to shop around for best offers and prices. Interesting that in the townships informal retail, be it spazas or hawkers, are still a huge force because they are convenient and because they keep their prices low. Yet the malls in the townships are doing well because they offer a relatively safe and pleasant environment and they are local," says Marketing Mix publisher Terry Murphy.
"Consumers are no longer blindly brand loyal, they respect traditional brands but they want a lot more evidence of cost justification and product benefits. The big retailers will radically increase their private label brands and, after all, their retail brand names are reputable so traditional FMCG brands have to be really innovative to defend and gain market share. The reality is that most of them will lose market share because they are not ‘street smart’ enough," he continues.
Speaker highlights for Shopper Insights include Ask Afrika's Sarina de Beer, Kantar's Jack Hlongwane and Nielsen's Alisa Wingfield and Esti Prinsloo. The line-up of thought leaders have all been invited by Murphy because he respects their capability to see further than their competitors.
Key insights to be gained:
• How to win with shoppers in the evolving shopper landscape
• Banks gaining shopper intelligence far ahead of most retailers – learn how they are doing it
• Meet Generation Next – how wellness may be influencing their shopping habits
• 20% of shoppers matter; customer data science techniques at work boosting ROI
• Influencing influencers along the retail journey
• New technologies impacting real-time retail right now
• Product differentiation and visualisation driving category growth
• Effective brand activation in informal fast food outlets
• Compelling insights from the Ask Afrika Icon Brands & Orange Index brand winners
• Brands adding value – new shopping list multiple buyers
• Rise and rise of convenience retail
For the full programme and credentials of the speakers click here