- Earlier this year, Wunderman Thompson SA announced the appointment of Tshego Tshukutswane to its executive team as group chief strategy officer. Tshukutswane joined this month succeeding Moagi Bodibe, who has taken up independent consulting. Jessica Tennant
- While StatsSA's latest figures show retail trade falling 3.5% year-on-year from 2019 to 2020, continuing a 10-month downward spiral, South Africa's retailers are starting to show signs of adapting to the needs of the changing market.
- Domestic tourism to the rescue
- Savanna and Grey Africa/WPP Liquid tackle the '#MyFriendZone'
- When evolving's just not enough: Research company KLA rebrands
- Pricing strategy and the power of perception
- Creativity. A dangerous ingredient from two old men
- 7 safety tips to make the most out of your time on Table Mountain
- New Bridgestone head of marketing announced
Marketing & Media jobs
- Retail Creative Director Johannesburg
- Paid Media Specialist Johannesburg
- Full-Stack Designer Remote
- Creative Director Cape Town
- Marketing/Communications Manager Home Based
- Digital Strategy Manager Cape Town
- Junior Marketing Assistant Cape Town
- Motion Graphics Designer Johannesburg
- Personal Assistant Johannesburg
- UX/UI Designer Johannesburg
#Loeries2019: Check the stereotypes in your creativity
Anne Githuku-Shongwe, representative of UN Women South Africa’s Multi-Country Office, addressing the DStv Seminar of Creativity. Image via Al Nicoll © via Gallo Images.
Thabang “Tipi” Manyelo – a voice-over artist and Loeries alumni himself as the winner of multiple awards for his snappy copywriting skills, such as South Africa’s first One Show ‘Best Of Show’ in the radio discipline and the Loeries 2017 Young Creative Of The Year – kept proceedings running smoothly as master of ceremonies.
The second part of this year's Loeries young creative award winning duo, Thabang ‘TipiDang' Manyelo shares his plans to 'Netflix the ad industry' and why winning this much-longed-for award is just the starter's gun, not the finish line...
Leigh Andrews 5 Sep 2017
He started by showing a clip from UN Women's Unstereotype Alliance campaign video, which puts gender diversity front and centre with the tagline 'the problem is not seeing the problem':
Manyelo's next task was to introduce Loeries CEO Andrew Human, who welcomed attendees to a fantastic speaker lineup of creatives from across the world.
Human also emphasised the importance of the Loeries being the first official ally partner of the Unstereotype Alliance in the region, which is a crucial move in the right direction for the industry.
This Women's Day in SA, we welcomed news that the Loeries has joined forces with UN Women's Unstereotype Alliance initiative, to launch its South Africa chapter, set to use the advertising industry as a force for good to drive positive change all over the world...
Leigh Andrews 9 Aug 2019
Human then introduced Anne Githuku-Shongwe, representative of UN Women South Africa’s Multi-Country Office, who said:
Every morning when I wake up, the decision I make on what soap to use, what breakfast to eat and what car to drive has already been influenced by everyone in this room, As creatives, you are powerful.UN Women aims to drive gender equality globally, but stereotypes are so pervasive that we all need to do our bit to raise awareness and drive action.
The media and advertising industries play an important role in stirring the way society is portrayed. Here's why UN Women and Dove's masterclass session at Loeries 2019 called for the creative industry as a whole to take a stand and work actively towards better representation, particularly in terms of gender...
Leigh Andrews 23 Aug 2019
The Unstereotype Alliance was launched at Cannes Lions in 2017 as a way to bring people together, as well as to inspire creatives on an individual level.
As you're selecting words and images, as you're putting together creative campaigns set to be viewed by the masses, think about whether each decision you make reinforces stereotypes or not.
The Unstereotype Alliance launched at Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity last year and has just joined Twitter...
Leigh Andrews 11 Jun 2018
She also hinted at specific awards aimed at work that serves to 'unstereotype' coming to both Cannes Lions and Loeries, and concluded:
Check your stereotypes at the door and do what you can to support this global campaign! Advertising truly can benefit society.