Marketing & Media trends
Construction & Engineering trends
- 3 major trends in the commercial property space in AfricaPeter Hodgkinson
- A bright horizon for South Africa's energy landscapeBarry Bredenkamp
- Achieving developmental goals through constructionCyril Vuyani Gamede
CSI & Sustainability trends
- Time for NPOs to show their real impactKeri-Leigh Paschal
- 5 sustainability trends that will shape business in 2021Christelle Marais
- 4 trends set to continue or be re-interpreted in the NGO sectorInnocent Masayira
- Strengthening NPO skills and processesNazeema Mohamed, Feryal Domingo and Soraya Joonas
- Sustainability is key for social investment in 2021Keri-Leigh Paschal
- 4 trends in employee skills development and training you need to know for 2021Siphelele Kubheka and Desikan Naidoo
Energy & Mining trends
- 10 predictions around fintechDominique Collett
- The 4 themes for the new yearAndrew Duvenage,
- 3 wealth management trends to watch in 2021Maarten Ackerman
- 4 strategies to rethink investing in SMEsKuhle Mnisi
- Microinsurance ready to reach new heightsMarius Botha
- Finding alpha in the age of Covid-19Nema Ramkhelawan-Bhana
- Purpose or profit. It's not a choiceMike Middleton
- Shifting towards a digital - but still human - approachHenry van Deventer
HR & Management trends
- 4 areas in which your business can practice its swivelFrancois Kriel
- 5G is coming. Here's what it could mean for SASamantha Naidoo
- 3 big issues demanding legal attention this yearJonathan Veeran, Nozipho Mngomezulu and Burton Phillips
Logistics & Transport trends
Marketing & Media trends
- Tech democratisation will set the tone for 2021Andrew Smit and Johan Walters
- Auction industry survival depends on going virtualJoff van Reenen
- Covid-19 drives new trends in local property marketMarcél du Toit
- A bold year for beveragesAlex Glenday
- Acceleration of digital paymentsJonathan Smit
- Safety vs sustainability - the packaging industry's key conundrumNthabiseng Motsoeneng
- The evolving e-tail landscapeVilo Trska
#BizTrends2021: Healthcare innovations to look out for
A significant part of 2020 was riddled with the Covid-19 pandemic, thus negatively affecting the healthcare sector. To combat some of the challenges in treating conditions such as the coronavirus and healing chronic wounds, there are several healthcare innovations to look out for in the coming year.
Moshe Lichtenstein,CEO and founder, One8Innovation
According to an article published by McKinsey & Company in November 2020, there are two key healthcare innovations to look out for in treating Covid-19:
- A digital stethoscope designed by Tyto Care was used by Sheba Medical Centre to deliver the necessary care to patients returning from the coronavirus-stricken cruise ship, Diamond Princess while limiting healthcare workers' exposure to the virus. The device is capable of listening to patients' hearts and displays images of their lungs to a care team that can come to their aid at any given time.
- In the United States of America, Zipline, a company that delivers medical supplies to remote areas has partnered with Novant Health in North Carolina to dispense supplies to hospitals.
In South Africa, ActiGraft heals chronic wounds by using patients’ own blood. The product actively pushes the body to repair non-healing wounds.
While highlighting some of the trends that can be observed in medical technology, it is imperative to acknowledge the factors grossly affecting the healthcare sector, as this fast forwards the adoption of innovative ways for effective patient care. Essentially, enhanced innovation trends need practitioners to be harbingers of a system that is more effective, resourceful and fair.
About the author
Moshe Lichtenstein is the CEO and founder of One8Innovation.