The pie is already a versatile dish and easy to adapt to meet your vegetarian needs. Bring umfino - a traditional South Africa dish which is usually a mixture of maize meal, chopped spinach, cabbage and potatoes cooked in one pot - into the picture and you have the makings of a great veggie dish for Green Monday.
• 200g spinach, finely chopped
• 200g nettles (or any other leafy green), finely chopped
• 500g mixed vegetables (like peas, carrots, turnips), finely chopped
• 1 ½ cup mealie meal
• One cup water
• One tablespoon oil
• Herbs and spices, optional
1. Mix the Mealie meal with water and set aside.
2. Throw all the chopped vegetables in a pot with a little bit of water and a little bit of oil
3. Add the spinach and nettles and allow to steam for about 10 minutes, or until most of the water is released.
4. Add the soaked mealie meal to the pot.
5. Cover and let it cook for about three to four more minutes until the mealie meal becomes soft.
6. Stir the entire pot’s contents and let it cook for another few minutes.
7. Serve as soon as the vegetables are soft.
8. Add any other herbs and spices that you like.Recipe: Nomkhita Sontsonga for HSI, Africa, Seed to Table recipe bookMore Green Monday Recipes.