Marketing & Media trends
Marketing & Media trends
- Tech democratisation will set the tone for 2021Andrew Smit and Johan Walters
Construction & Engineering trends
- 3 major trends in the commercial property space in AfricaPeter Hodgkinson
- A bright horizon for South Africa's energy landscapeBarry Bredenkamp
- Achieving developmental goals through constructionCyril Vuyani Gamede
CSI & Sustainability trends
- Time for NPOs to show their real impactKeri-Leigh Paschal
- 5 sustainability trends that will shape business in 2021Christelle Marais
- 4 trends set to continue or be re-interpreted in the NGO sectorInnocent Masayira
- Strengthening NPO skills and processesNazeema Mohamed, Feryal Domingo and Soraya Joonas
- Sustainability is key for social investment in 2021Keri-Leigh Paschal
- 4 trends in employee skills development and training you need to know for 2021Siphelele Kubheka and Desikan Naidoo
Energy & Mining trends
- 10 predictions around fintechDominique Collett
- The 4 themes for the new yearAndrew Duvenage,
- 3 wealth management trends to watch in 2021Maarten Ackerman
- 4 strategies to rethink investing in SMEsKuhle Mnisi
- Microinsurance ready to reach new heightsMarius Botha
- Finding alpha in the age of Covid-19Nema Ramkhelawan-Bhana
- Purpose or profit. It's not a choiceMike Middleton
- Shifting towards a digital - but still human - approachHenry van Deventer
HR & Management trends
- 4 areas in which your business can practice its swivelFrancois Kriel
- 5G is coming. Here's what it could mean for SASamantha Naidoo
- 3 big issues demanding legal attention this yearJonathan Veeran, Nozipho Mngomezulu and Burton Phillips
Logistics & Transport trends
- Auction industry survival depends on going virtualJoff van Reenen
- Covid-19 drives new trends in local property marketMarcél du Toit
- A bold year for beveragesAlex Glenday
- Acceleration of digital paymentsJonathan Smit
- Safety vs sustainability - the packaging industry's key conundrumNthabiseng Motsoeneng
- The evolving e-tail landscapeVilo Trska
Marketing & Media jobs
MoreSubmit a jobOpen account
Associate Director - Market Research/Segmentation Johannesburg
#BizTrends2018: A trends story from a magician's granddaughter
I am the granddaughter of a magician. A real, actual International Brotherhood of Magicians magician, who made milk disappear from newspaper cones, made my gran and aunts vanish from locked boxes, disappeared and reappeared doves and found coins in my ears.
Heidi Brauer, chief marketing officer, Hollard Insurance.
As a brand grower, here are some of the trends I wish to use my wand to realise:
- We will learn to trust a process. It’s so much more enabling to go into a meeting or a workshop and trust that the agenda or subject will lead you to where you need to go. We will set a process - stepping stones for our thinking journey and landing points to make sure we stay on purpose – and then think together.
- We won’t be married to outcomes. I have learned that truly liberated thinking and the best ideas come when you trust the process and you don’t go in wed to your point of view. The great ideas are usually never mine and that’s completely fine – I’ve learned to love the journey without needing to control it.
- We will stay on purpose. Children often cry that another child did something to them ‘on purpose’. As brand leaders, we will be more ‘on purpose’. In the best way, not a way that’s stuck to a point of view. In a world of increasing sameness and decreasing budgets, we will be more consistent, persistent, insistent and relentless with our purpose and brand’s messaging.
- We will be brilliant in elevators. Being on purpose is the gift that enables us to say more with fewer words. Communication that is consistent, persistent insistent and relentless will help us sell an idea more succinctly and compellingly than we can ever imagine.
- We will listen to hear. We will pay exquisite attention to one another. And we’ll do this whilst not being married to an outcome. And whilst staying on purpose.
- We will make everyone and every thought equal. When we all know the process, when we are all on purpose, when nobody is wed to an idea, when there is equality of thinking, then real creativity can happen.
- We will use simple language. We will replace jargon and suitcase words. This will be our greatest tool in making everyone and everything ok.
And we will be magicians. The most gifted magicians conceptualise on a grand scale, imagine every detail, plan the execution and then deliver with grace and flair.
Read more: Heidi Brauer, Bizcommunity.com, media and marketing trends, trends Africa, trends South Africa, trends 2018, BizTrends2018