Marketing & Media trends
Marketing & Media trends
- The year of the African storytellerGarreth van Vuuren
Construction & Engineering trends
CSI & Sustainability trends
Energy & Mining trends
HR & Management trends
- Key trade and investment trends in Africa - Part 1Lodewyk Meyer, Marc Yudaken, Mike van Rensburg and Virusha Subban
Logistics & Transport trends
Tourism & Travel trends
#BizTrends2017: The top 100 emerging consumer trends
From (Dis)ability Advertising to Platonic Dating Apps, the annual 'Future 10' report previews the top 100 defining trends of consumer behavior for 2017, helping readers keep tabs on emerging consumer behavior with 100 original trend predictions from the Innovation Group, JWT Intelligence.
From trends such as Vagina-nomics and Artificial Nature to Tech vs. the Trolls and Halal Tourism, the Future 100 report foresees a 2017 full of new frontiers for consumers and new opportunities for brands.
The 10 lenses under which the trends are categorised are: Beauty, Brands & Marketing, Culture, Food & Drink, Health, Lifestyle, Luxury, Retail, Tech & Innovation, and Travel & Hospitality.
Image by 123RF
- Marijuana: The New Rosé? Today, women in the marijuana market are looking beyond remedies for menstrual pain. In fact, marijuana may be on its way to overtaking wine as the hip indulgence of choice.
- Second Skin: Much of the visible appearance of aging skin can be attributed to loss of elasticity. Researchers are uncovering new materials that create a “second skin” to restore natural tautness. Scientists at MIT and Harvard have created an invisible layer of polymers that produces dramatic results in initial tests.
- AI Art: There’s been plenty of talk of artificial intelligence replacing taxi drivers through self-driving cars, and even making white-collar professionals redundant – but will AI also replace artists?
- Trippy Travel: In past decades, countercultural types flocked to the coffee shops of Amsterdam to sample legal marijuana, but today’s aspiring psychonauts are traveling farther afield. In the past few years, tourism around ayahuasca, a potent psychoactive brew of vines and leaves used as traditional spiritual medicine among the indigenous residents of Amazonia, has exploded.
- Retail Naturalism: Technology brands are evolving retail concepts away from cold and minimal shops toward something friendlier and more natural.
Lucie Greene, worldwide director of the Innovation Group, said of the report: “Keeping up with shifts in the world today means keeping a pulse on what’s happening, and also anticipating what’s to come. So what makes the 2017 consumer tick? What would the 2017 horoscope for consumer behavior look like? We hope Future 100 offers brands, marketers and consumers alike the answers to those questions.”
Download the full report, including all 100 trends on jwtintelligence.com. The Innovation Group will also explore how last year’s trends played out in 2016 in a series of posts on the J. Walter Thompson Intelligence website.
Read more: Lucie Greene, Innovation Group, BizTrends2017, media and marketing trends, trends 2017, trends Africa, trends South Africa