The South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) has condemned the alleged intimidation of Sowetan journalist Herman Moloi while he was reporting from the Madlanga Commission, saying threats against journalists also threaten the public’s right to know.

Herman Moloi interviewed by SABC. Source: YouTube.
Moloi opened a criminal case of intimidation against KwaZulu-Natal businessman Stuart Scharnick after an alleged confrontation at the commission on Thursday, 20 August.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe confirmed that a case of intimidation was opened.
According to Sanef, Moloi had filmed Scharnick speaking to MP Fadiel Adams during a tea break. Scharnick allegedly approached Moloi and accused him of filming without his permission, having earlier accused the journalist of posting videos of him on TikTok.
Moloi reportedly believed the TikTok comment was a joke, as he does not have a TikTok account.
During the tea break, Scharnick allegedly confronted Moloi again and instructed him to stop filming. Moloi told Sowetan that Scharnick pointed at him and repeatedly suggested they go outside.
“He kept pointing at me with his finger and telling me that we should go outside. His tone was very threatening. I decided to open a criminal case because his tone was intimidating and very threatening,” Moloi said.
Moloi reported the incident to a police officer at the commission and registered a complaint of intimidation. Sowetan editor Sibongakonke Shoba subsequently confirmed that Scharnick had been arrested.
Sanef said the incident took place at the Bridget Mabandla Justice College, where the commission is sitting, and noted that journalists have been permitted to film and report freely from the venue.
“Media freedom is a protected right under Section 16 of the Constitution, and a vital pillar of democracy,” Sanef said.
Shoba said journalists must be able to report on matters of public interest without fear or harassment.
“A threat against journalists does not only affect the individual but also adversely impacts the public’s right to know,” he said.
Sanef Media Freedom Committee chairperson Nicki Gules welcomed the police response and the commission’s support for Moloi.
“Reporters are increasingly being intimidated in the course of their duties and blocked from doing their work,” she said.
The forum said intimidation of journalists should be viewed as an attack on the public they serve, arguing that journalists report on behalf of South Africans and must be able to do so without interference or threats.