• Download BizTakeouts Mobi App
  • Visit BizTakeouts

Subscribe to industry newsletters

Marketing internships?

I have just graduated and I am finding it difficult to find a job in the industry due to a lack of experience.
Which marketing companies offer internships throughout the year? Or should I just call up as many agencies as possible and offer my services for free regardless? Also, how do I let them know what I can do? As a university grad, we don't get much practical experience in the field!
Get a daily news update via WhatsApp or sign up to our newsletters.
Comment
Anonymous
Tough one-
I would suggest various options, but all depends on what situation you are in personally (financial / personal / pyscological etc...) 1. Freelance work - there are a few freelance websites that allow you to upload your services 2. Take a step back - maybe looking for a position not in your specific field may be an option, which will allow you to try and grow within that company and into your field 3. Start your own business
Posted on 23 Jan 2007 13:55
Anonymous
Market Yourself Through Internships-
Yes, it is indeed a tough one. All those years hitting the books and not being able to get a job immediately. Many have gone through that. The best short term solution would be to work as an intern at a reputable company free of charge. Make sure the company you choose to give your free services to is a blue chip organization in the industry as that name will secure you well paying jobs at other companies. Best of Luck...
Posted on 23 Jan 2007 15:09
Anonymous
You deserve to get paid.-
Just keep hunting and you'll find work. Don't lock yourself into ad agencies, they generally pay 50% less than marketing companies/client side jobs. Once you've got experience on the client side, any agency will want you. Happy, who was the MD and owner of Herdbuoys eventually defected for paid employment at ABSA/Barclays because they were able to pay him even more than he earned in his own advertising business. My advice - get street smart - don't look yourself into looking for work in large agencies and boutiques and you'll soon get a job.
Posted on 23 Jan 2007 15:50
Anonymous
Try weekends jobs to build your profile.-
I can relate to your story..Marketing was one of my major subjects that i loved and planned to build a career with but because of lack of experience and companies not willing to buy into me i had to be flexible and ended up into banking.I don't enjoy my work and still struggling to get a marketing job because of lack of marketing experience.I also need help just like you.I'm starting to get marketing part time jobs to get experience that will make it easier for me to enter the marketing field.
Posted on 23 Jan 2007 16:34
Anonymous
Quirk looking for new interns in June-
Hi there. Quirk eMarketing took in three graduates at the beginning of the year for six-month internships. We will be looking for new interns to start in June, so if you are interested in a career in eMarketing, you might want to apply? Keep checking on our website, blog or on bizcommunity for application information and deadlines. Good luck!
Posted on 24 Jan 2007 10:42
Anonymous
internships-
I hear your dilemma - I am looking for a marketing intern surely there must be somewhere where you can submit your details - I dont know where to find interns - would the job section in biz comm be the place to look? Although I dont want to get 300 hits..
Posted on 30 Jan 2007 10:43
Anonymous
advise for graduates-
I have a good understanding of this type of situation. i was in the same boat, but did one thing that has put me in a different catagory than other students! WORK DURING HOLIDAYS - come on', face it -the breaks at varsity is LOOONG! you can get valuable experience that you can put on your cv. (i am not talking about waitering or promotions!!) this has truely set me apart from other students. with hard work and some luck i landed a succesful job that i enjoy to bits - and a good package coz i did not fall in the catagory of "inexperienced students". from the employers point of view...they should be more considerate about this situation. everyone needs to start somewhere and they all were "inexperienced" at some stage! Give us a break! Personally, i think one should have the right attitude and personality to be succesful in the employment sector - no one has ever died from working to hard.industry experience can be gained over a short period of time, but personalities are cast in stone! leave your varsity behaviours at home and start living in the real world!
Posted on 30 Jan 2007 12:53
Anonymous
Shadow Work-
Try get some "Shadow Work" - mainly it does not pay but you choose a few good people in good companies and ask that you "Shadow them for a day or a week" and take copious notes and ask millions of questions and then when you see a gap, ask them if you can actually help on a task and thereafter they can maybe write you a nice reference letter and you can have a good collection to give to prospective employers! GOOD LUCK!
Posted on 2 Feb 2007 12:52
Anonymous
wish i had done that-
nice to know you've found success...wish i had offered my services to agencies...would have been great if you offered some helpful advice though...
Posted on 12 Mar 2007 23:01
Tiny tot
I second that-
Guys it not about not finding experience...it just that we have become a darn lazy generation with high expectations. Well take it from a peer....the system is the the same ....HARD WORK PAYS OFF....Having said that please be proactive, find work within companies you would really love to be a part off....don't just do things for a quick buck and without a vision of where you want to be.I have also succeeded and the road is still long and O want to travel it so...Never sit and expect hand overs....gone are the days where you get identified by some ralative or family member...now even us family members want to recommend hard workers....it all start with a visionary mind and self motivation. All the best peeps......
Posted on 7 Oct 2008 09:26
amanda
what to do?!-
hardworking, intelligent, have a marketing degree and a diploma in computer studies, not to mention excellent matric. problem is, all brains and no way to put them to use. am prepared for anything right now so the idea of offering marketing intern services for free is really attractive right now. reader if you know someone who knows someone who can hire me as an intern, or a website i can visit, please assist
Posted on 22 Apr 2010 15:34
amanda
hi-
saw your comment that you are interested i interns but am not sure if you still are. have a degree in marketing, a diploma in computer studies, and excellent matric results, but cant land a good job. am prepared to be an intern for free. please refer me to enyone who could assist,if you cant
Posted on 22 Apr 2010 15:37
CAPT SANDEEP SHEKHAWAT
MARKETING-
pl contact timeless tents. we are launching Indian Tents in South Africa with Helen the MD of Timeless tents and Holy Cow. you can contact her or me thru mail i will be arriving in johannesburg by 02nd May.
Posted on 23 Apr 2010 07:08
Refilwe
what do i do-
ambitious and hungry young lady, completed a diploma in drama. I,m am now doing my second year in pr and i'm desperate for work. I haven't been able to find a job with my drama diploma. Do i have to wait until i complete my pr diploma before i can work?
Posted on 7 May 2010 11:57
NTHABISENG
LOOKING FOR AN INTERNSHIP-
HIMY NAME IS NTHABISENG, I HAVE JUST COMPLETED MY MEDIA STUDIES DIPLOMA AND IM BATTLING ON FINDING AN INTERNSHIP. I AM WILLING TO WORK FOR FREE OR SHADOW SOMEONE JUST TO GET EXPERIENCE IN THE MEDIA INDUSTRY, ESPECIALLY IN ADVERTISING. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED YOU CAN E-MAIL ME:mothiben@gmail.com OR CALL ME:0766435085/0761159915.IM DESPERATE!
Posted on 31 May 2010 17:09
Zanele Magazi
Looking for a marketing internship-
My name iz Zanele Magazi doing my second year in marketing. I am looking for an internship during the december holidays and for next year, I am dedicated, a fast learner and willing to work for nothing can email me on 209066881@cput.ac.za or call me on 0738500707
Posted on 16 Aug 2010 11:35
Anonymous
I am looking for an advertising agency that uses babies for adverts...I have a 6mth old boy
Posted on 9 Oct 2019 11:58
Read more: internships, internship

Related