Last night, 8 June, The Hospitality Counsel hosted their 3rd annual Luxe Restaurant Awards, celebrating the finest contributions to the South African restaurant industry, at AURUM restaurant within The Leonardo, Africa's tallest skyscraper.
More than 100 nominees were shortlisted for the awards ceremony, with categories ranging from the best fine dining restaurants to the best lifestyle restaurants in South Africa.
Shashi Naidoo announced the winners to an intimate audience of leading industry figures. Michelin Stared Chef Jan Hendrik van der Westhuizen won both Chef and Restaurant of the Year. While Lazy Makotio was voted South Africa's Culinary Media Personality for the Year of 2021.
Chad Fourie, Managing Director of The Hospitality Counsel, said "Our judges have been greatly impressed by the exceptional quality of nominees, and those who are on the shortlist know they have reached a very high standard."
All the 2021 Luxe Restaurant Awards winners:
- Restaurant of the Year: Restaurant Klein Jan
- Chef of the Year: Jan Hendrik van der Westhuizen
- New Restaurant of the Year: Embarc Restaurant
- Style Award: TANG
- Culinary Icon Award: Chef Nti
- Culinary Media Personality of the Year: The Lazy Makoti Culinary Rising Star: Tumi Mogoai
- Culinary Pioneer Award: Jan Hendrik van der Westhuizen Sustainability Award: Wolfgat
- Service Excellence Award: Marble
- African Restaurant of The Year: Qunu
- Bistro of the Year: Nova Bistro
- Burger Bar of the Year: The Test Kitchen Burgers
- Coffee Shop of the Year: Truth Coffee
- Ethnic Restaurant of the Year: Peachy
- Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: Basalt Restaurant Food Truck of the Year: Eighty8's Food Co.
- Franchise of the Year: Soul Souvlaki
- Hotel Restaurant of the Year: AURUM
- Lifestyle Restaurant of the Year: Solo Restaurant
- Pizzeria of the Year: Ciao Pizza
- Pop-Up Experience of the Year: Candice Philip at Basalt Wine Service Award: Joseph Dhafana