PALO ALTO, CALIFORNIA, US: The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) Council's 'Get Wildly Creative About South Africa' online ad contest has been won by a filmmaker from Italy, known as Booris, his Zooppa user name. The contest was powered by Zooppa, a global social media network of nearly 60 000 creative enthusiasts, and sponsored by the International Marketing Council of South Africa, custodian of Brand South Africa, in partnership with South African Airways and South African Tourism.
The aspiring director used his own journey to South Africa to fuel his call to "stop using old maps to discover new lands" in his video 'One and Eleven'. He will receive a cash award along with a trip to South Africa.
The campaign, run by the GeoBranding Center of CMO, sought to develop fresh ideas and dynamic creative content, presenting South Africa's brand face to the world following the global media spotlight and influx of visitors to the country during the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
Over 400 contestants submitted creative work across three categories including video, print advertising and online banner display. The winner of the print campaign, known by his Zooppa username, PIKNIK, depicted South Africa as a nation who would only accept colour difference based on what colour soccer jersey a person sported.
"Capturing the essence of a brand in an intensely captivating and engaging campaign is one of the most challenging tasks facing marketers promoting nation brands," stated Donovan Neale-May, executive director of the CMO Council. "This collective of creativity has produced a level of inspiration and diversity in message, all centred on core values that embody the brand of South Africa. It was truly amazing to see the variety of content, difference in view, yet singularity of idea that brand of South Africa is one of diversity, inspiration, hope and aspiration."
- Anitha Soni, chair of the International Marketing Council Board of Trustees
- Elaine Youngleson, MD of Club Med
- Gregg Truman, VP of marketing for South African Airways
- Andre Shearer, CEO of Cape Classics Wine
- Noah Greenhill, chief marketing officer of JSE
- Jade Maletsky, group marketing head of strategy for Liberty Group,
- Leanne Manas, Morning Live anchor on SABC,
- Imann Rappetti, anchor of E.TV News and Current Affairs,
- Jacqualene Humphries, chief marketing officer of Neotel,
- Heather Third, director, Special Projects Africa, Microsoft,
- CMO Council Africa chair, Connie DeLange, group executive, marketing of Dimension Data
The CMO Council is dedicated to high-level knowledge exchange, thought leadership and personal relationship building among senior corporate marketing leaders and brand decision-makers across a wide-range of global industries.
A showcase of winners, including the Grand Prize video, can be viewed and downloaded at www.geobrandingcenter.org/zooppa-winners.php