Are you ready to #WalkToTheBeat at this year's Discovery East Coast Radio Big Walk?
There’s less than two weeks left till KZN’s largest participative event takes to the promenade of Durban.
19 May will see more than 30,000 participants walk to support the Sole2Sole initiative that aims to put shoes on every South African foot in need.
In preparation for the event there are important details that participants should know to ensure a smooth journey to the Big Walk.
Race packs can be collected at Moses Mabhida Stadium on the following days only:
Thursday, 16 May 2019
10am - 7pm
Friday, 17 May 2019
10am – 7pm
Saturday, 18 May 2019
10am – 2pm
| || |
The race pack will include an official Big Walk T-shirt and number. The T-shirt will have an empty canvas where participants are encouraged to decorate and name their favourite song that gets them moving to the beat.
On event day, the following designated parking areas will be available:
Mustering fields Moses Mabhida stadium corner of Battery Beach road and NMR opposite swimming pools
uShaka Marine World parking between Albert terrace and Southampton Parking A
A free shuttle service is offered to participants from Moses Mabhida, between the start and finish areas from 6am until 1pm.
- Traveling to the start: Busses are available from 5am - 9am
- Returning buses after the race: 10.30am -12.30pm
Only participants who are wearing the official Big Walk 2019 T-shirts will be allowed on the busses.
The team at ECR and Discovery together with Durban Metro Police have also ensured that the following roads will be closed to make provision for all walkers on the day:
From 4.30am until 12pm
- Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue (south bound) from Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Road to Sandile Thusi (Argyle) Road.
- Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue (north bound) from Sandile Thusi (Argyle) Road to Isaiah Ntshangase (Walter Gilbert) Road.
From 5.30am until ± 12pm
- Snell Parade from Athlone Drive to Battery Beach Road.
- Athlone Drive between Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Ave and Snell Parade.
- M4 (north bound) offramp to Athlone Drive.
- M4 (south bound) offramp to Athlone Drive.
- M4 (south bound) onramp to Riverside Road (for 20km walkers) [Roadway open to traffic at 11am].
- M4 (north bound) onramp to Riverside Road (for 20km walkers) [Roadway open to traffic at 11am].
- Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue (south bound) two lanes from Athlone. Drive to Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Road – All vehicles to go west upon Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Road.
- Battery Beach Road / Snell Parade [at the traffic circle] – Controlled access to the parking at the Mustering Fields.
Please make sure that you are at the following race distances at the correct start time to avoid disappointment.
Please note that the Big Walk ends at 12pm.
While you do your own health good by participating in some fun physical activity, you’ll also get the opportunity to do good for others: for the event, Discovery and ECR are partnering with Sole2Sole, a local initiative that collects and distributes pre-owned shoes to those in need. Members of the public can drop off pre-owned shoes during office hours at the ECR headquarters
or the Discovery Store in Granada Square, Umhlanga
until 15 May 2019, as well as at donation points near the finish line on race day.
Discovery and East Coast Radio look forward to hosting a healthy day out.
For more information visit durbanbigwalk.co.za