The 2021 Digital Media Awards Worldwide winners have been announced by The World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers (Wan-Ifra).
Selected from the regional Wan-Ifra Digital Media Awards this year in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, North America and South Asia, the winners come out of eight categories that recognise media organisations that have created ground-breaking digital products that engage readers while growing their online business.
Local juries evaluate the regional awards, and the winners go forward to the global competition, which is adjudicated by a different set of judges. This year, the judges described the winners as “successful news publishers that understand their audiences”.
“The winning entries were able to engage storytelling, powerful images and purposeful design that combine to add insight and meaning to consumers' lives. Likewise, the most effective services and campaigns are highly focused on the needs of users,” says the judges.
The 2021 winners are...
- Best Data Visualisation: Agência Lupa, Brazil No Epicentro (At the epicenter)
- Best in Audience Engagement: Infoglobo, Brazil Coronavirus coverage without paywall
- Best Digital Marketing Campaign for News Brand: Verdens Gang AS, Norway "What the...."?
- Best Native Advertising / Branded Content Campaign: Forbes, USA Leading Small Businesses Through Uncertainty
- Best News Website or Mobile Service: The Washington Post, USA Reimagining The Washington Post Reader Experience
- Best Paid Content Strategy (incl. pay wall, membership or crowdfunding models): The Globe and Mail, Canada Fully dynamic, real-time, personalised paywall
- Best Project for News Literacy: Asociación de Periodismo de Investigación Ojo Público, Peru Chequeos en lenguas
- Best Use of Online Video (including VR): VGTV, Norway Tarjei's experiment