"At Deloitte we believe our ability to attract and develop multicultural women is critical to delivering superior performance and creating outstanding value for our clients," said Deborah L. DeHaas, chief inclusion officer, Deloitte LLP. "We all have something unique to contribute to our success; a diverse workforce brings to the table the skills, knowledge and viewpoints we need to serve our clients, learn from one another, and grow in an increasingly competitive and global marketplace. That's why Deloitte is focused on fostering a culture where all of our professionals have the opportunity to reach their potential and thrive as leaders."
In supporting its multicultural women, Deloitte employs formal leadership development programs that offer strategic assignments and career sponsorship. These include:
- Navigation to Excellence - pairing high-performing women of colour at the manager and senior manager levels with senior leaders in one-on-one sponsorship relationships to prepare them for critical roles at Deloitte. Sponsor leaders also undergo training to help them better understand, address the needs of, and provide feedback to people with backgrounds different from theirs.
- Emerging Leader Development Program - preparing high-performing minority managers and senior managers for the next stage in their careers. Working individually with a career coach, participants define goals, create career plans and develop strategies to execute them. Each is paired with an internal Deloitte sponsor who serves as an advocate to help participants get to the next step in their careers. More than 500 professionals have been through the program, and over 70 of them now serve in partner, principal or director roles at Deloitte.
"The Best Companies for Multicultural Women value the power of a diverse workforce and work hard to make sure their pipelines are filled with talented women of colour," says Jennifer Owens, director of the Working Mother
Research Institute. "Even beyond mentoring and networking programs, these companies are reaching out to professional and school groups and sponsoring recruitment events to attract the best multicultural women talent."
Deloitte will share these and other best practices at Working Mother
's 12th annual Multicultural Women's National Conference in July. The conference will feature top executives, important research and networking opportunities to support more than 800 multicultural women in becoming tomorrow's leaders. Deloitte has been a premier sponsor since its inception. Maritza Gomez Montiel, deputy CEO and vice chairman, Deloitte LLP, will serve as a co-chair and Tonie Leatherberry, principal, Deloitte Consulting LLP, will lead a breakout session.
The complete 2012 Best Companies for Multicultural Women special report appears in the June/July issue of Working Mother
and on www.workingmother.com
In addition to the 2012 Working Mother
Top Companies for Multicultural Women list, Deloitte has been recognised for its record of diversity and inclusion by other organisations, including:
- 2012 DiversityInc's Top 50 Companies for Diversity; on list for the 9th year
- Fortune magazine's list of "100 Best Companies to Work For" for the 13th year
- "2011 Working Mother 100 Best Companies" top 10 for the third year, its 18th consecutive year on the list
- 2011 Company of the Year in the LATINA Style 50 Report
- Human Rights Campaign's "Best Places to Work," earning a 100% rating on its Corporate Equality Index (CEI)
About Deloitte's Talent Strategy
As the nation's largest professional services organisation, our ability to attract, develop and deploy high-performing talent is critical to delivering superior performance and serving our clients with distinction. Our aim is to offer challenging work to our people, enhance their careers and fuel our business growth by fostering an environment where leaders thrive. This is a meaningful part of the Deloitte culture, and a value understood, shared, and recognised by our clients and our professionals. Please visit us at http://www.facebook.com/YourFutureAtDeloitte and follow us at @LifeAtDeloitte
. For more information on Deloitte's award-winning Talent initiatives, go to deloitte.com/us