In a circular economy waste is designed out of the system. It is a sustainable method of production and consumption that uses, reuses, repairs, refurbishes, shares and recycles. Once a fringe subject, the circular economy is rapidly becoming mainstream as more businesses transition away from a linear, carbon-intensive and waste-creating economy.
Circular businesses are still rare in South Africa but one that stands out is Inseco, an agro-processing and industrial biology company in Cape Town, South Africa. The company is investing in sustainable food protein and has designed waste management systems to convert landfill-destined waste streams into highly nutritious, cost-effective and sustainable insect protein for the animal feed markets.
This type of innovative business model is the reason the Circular Economy Boost was created. This initiative provides businesses like (or that aspire to be like) Inseco, with targeted support and resources to boost their growth and profitability.
CEA Boost is looking for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) active in the circular economy, environmental sustainability, recycling, waste reduction and related sectors.
There are 50 places available for this intensive 6-month initiative and the opportunity is open to all businesses who meet the following criteria:
- Alumni of a Fetola or other recognised business development programme
- Active in the green or circular economy sectors
- Potential to scale
- Preference given to female-led, rural and peri-urban businesses (50% target)
- Preference given to Black-owned businesses, but all welcome to apply
The programme offers very focused, practical and deliberate support to unlock exponential growth through a range of targeted interventions, including:
- Investment Readiness to strengthen investment case and access to finance
- Market Access to open new markets & make introductions to prospective clients
- Supply Chain readiness to strengthen skills and unlock new growth opportunities
- Process Engineering to improve efficiencies, minimise wastage and increase margins
Applications are now open and close on 30 July 2021. To apply for the CEA Boost programme, please click here