The Loerie Awards launched its 2011 campaign, Tuesday 15 March 2011, entitled "Don't hate. Create", created by Draftfcb and supported by a mobisite and specially developed augmented reality apps, linking digital technology to the printed media, along with a revamp of its award categories.
Entry deadline and eligibility
The entry deadline for the 33rd Annual Loerie Awards is Friday, 13 May 2011. A 5% early bird discount will be given to entries received by Friday, 15 April. Late entries will be charged a 5% penalty.
The eligibility period for work submitted is 1 June 2010 to 31 May 2011. Entries must be produced within Africa, the Middle East or island states off the African coast (eg. Mauritius, Madagascar and the Seychelles). International crafts may be entered, as long as the person nominated for the award is from the eligible region.
Launch the Augmented Reality app on and use the circular image to see how it feels to be hated.click to enlarge
The "Trans-Hater" iPhone app, developed by Injozi, uses augmented reality to reveal hidden messages in the campaign posters and print ads when the phone is held up to the image. A special app has also been designed by Pollen and Mail Gloo for use on Mac and PC, "Trans-Hating" hidden messages in the direct mailer.Category changes
"We've revised the categories from scratch, based on a comprehensive view of the brand communications industry," says Andrew Human, CEO of the Loeries. "Every touchpoint between a brand and its audience is brand communication and our categories are now grouped primarily by media type."
New categories include:
- Tactical Print - special use of newspaper and magazine media, eg. complete, feature or single page, use of margins, page numbers, content within a publication, inserts, catalogues, wraps, bands, etc.
- PR Communication - for the strategic and innovative use of PR to drive coverage of a brand
- Street Pole Advertising - sponsored by AdReach with an award trip to Cannes
- Live Activations - for tactical brand activation using live actors and with an audience that has not been invited, eg. shopping mall activations, roadside, and guerrilla activations.
- Sponsorship - for the innovative sponsorship of consumer focused events.
- Broadcast Design and Graphics - new to the Communication Design category
- Performance Craft - added to the Television, Radio and Live Events categories.
- Architecture has been separated from Interior Design, forming two categories.
- Animation and Special Visual Effects are now two separate crafts.
The Loerie Awards now publishes the Official Rankings of the winning brands, agencies, production companies and individuals in the Loeries annual. In 2011, new entries to the credit list are: chief creative officer, strategist, editor, editing company, animator, animation company, VFX operator, post production facility and performer.Special awards in 2011
- ADreach Streetpole Award: a new category this year, the winner will automatically be entered into the outdoor advertising category at the Cannes Lions and the winner receives an all-expenses-paid trip for two to the event.
- Young Creatives Award: recognising outstanding achievements by creatives aged 27 and younger in any area of brand communication.
- Vodacom Mobile Award: Vodacom Mobile Media is sponsoring this award for the most creative use of mobile media.
- New Voice Radio Award: a non-English radio category, and the only proactive award in which entries do not have to have flighted to be eligible.
- Sappi Creative Use of Paper Award: all paper-based entries are eligible for this award.
Download the Loeries “Trans-Hater” iPhone app and reveal the hidden message in this image.click to enlarge
The major sponsors of this year's awards are Cape Town Tourism, The City of Cape Town, Gearhouse South Africa. Additional sponsors and official suppliers include Brandhouse, Greensky, Sappi, Vodacom Mobile Media, Adobe, Aon South Africa, Hetzner, Lasernet, Waterfront Studios, Gallo Images, Paygate, Ornico Group, Rocketseed, Newsclip, Grand Daddy Hotel, Cape Town Partnership, Ultra Litho, Graphica, BEE Online, ARC Telecoms, Tempest Car Hire, Think iT Solutions, Services Seta, Backsberg, ADreach, Vega the Brand Communication School, Design School South Africa, DraftFCB, Ads24, GreaterCapital and Southern Sun Hyde Park Sandton.
The Loeries Festival Weekend will be taking place from 16-18 September in Cape Town, South Africa with the Judges Seminar on 5 July 2011.
For more information go to www.theloerieawards.co.za
or download the "Trans-Hater" at www.loeries.mobi
. Updated: 16 March 2011 at 10:18