In 2018, Airbnb for Work grew exponentially, with a number of companies and business travellers making use of the travel solution offering, as such garnering insight into the way these business road warriors travel; where they go, where they prefer to stay and what they do when visiting a new city.
Herewith, a look at business travel trends for in 2019...
Move over traditional business travel corridors: Latin America, Asia and Africa surge in growth.
While the main business travel hubs like London, Paris, New York, and Sydney remain prominent destinations, we’re seeing the highest growth of trips to locations in regions like Latin America and Africa this year over the last (based on internal Airbnb data for business bookings made November 2016 to November 2017 vs. November 2017 to November 2018).
Some of the fastest-growing locations for business travellers include cities in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, South Korea, and South Africa, including:
• Mar Del Plata, Argentina (624% YoY increase in bookings)
• Guarujá, Brazil (594% YoY increase in bookings)
• Aguascalientes, Mexico (594% YoY increase in bookings)
• Gwangju, Korea (520% YoY increase in bookings)
• Pietermaritzburg, South Africa (465% YoY increase in bookings)
Group business trips continue to rise, and groups are travelling to historic and scenic hotspots.
The most popular group business travel destinations around the world trend toward cities in Malaysia, Brazil, Philippines, Mexico, and the US (based on internal Airbnb data for business bookings made between November 2017 to November 2018), including:
• Ipoh, Malaysia
• Guarujá, Brazil
• Tagaytay, Philippines
• Acapulco, Mexico
• Mammoth Lakes, CA
Some travellers are planners, while others book at the last minute.
For all travellers, the average trip is booked more than 35 days in advance. But, business travellers book with less lead time — business trips are being booked on average slightly more than 20 days in advance (based on internal Airbnb data for business bookings made between November 2017 to November 2018).
• Business travellers from cities in Taiwan, the US., and Germany book the furthest in advance.
• Business travellers from cities in France, Norway, and Mexico book with the least amount of lead time.
• Globally, those identifying as male book overall trips on average 32 days in advance, and for business trips, they average 19 days in advance.
• Globally, those identifying as female book overall trips on average 40 days in advance, and for business trips, they average 27 days in advance.
Business travellers are soaking up local culture by staying active and eating their way through cities while on business trips.
Business travellers originating from the U.S., the UK, Canada, Australia, and Germany book the most Experiences when travelling for work (based on internal Airbnb data for Experience bookings made between November 2017 to November 2018).
When on the road, some of the most-booked Experiences, globally, by business travellers include:
• Paris’ Best Kept Secrets Tour
• Lakehouse Jazz and Funk (San Francisco)
• Lisbon’s best flavours
• Show Me The City! Walking Tour (Toronto)
• Hike Runyon Canyon with a rescue dog (Los Angeles)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This Message Board accepts no liability of legal consequences that arise from the Message Boards (e.g. defamation, slander, or other such crimes). All posted messages are the sole property of their respective authors. The maintainer does retain the right to remove any message posts for whatever reasons. People that post messages to this forum are not to libel/slander nor in any other way depict a company, entity, individual(s), or service in a false light; should they do so, the legal consequences are theirs alone. Bizcommunity.com will disclose authors' IP addresses to authorities if compelled to do so by a court of law.