Wan-Ifra has announced the winners of its first Print Innovation Awards. The prize for innovations of newspapers and magazines will be presented on the first exhibition day of the Ifra World Publishing Expo on 9 October 2018, in Berlin.
The “Print Innovation Awards” competition honours the most innovative print products and services worldwide. The competition is open to newspaper and magazine publishers as well as advertisers or advertising agencies.
Innovation in the publishing industry not defined by digital
Because innovation in the publishing industry is not confined to digital, the World Printers Forum has launched the Print Innovation Awards, to reward excellence in print innovation.
For its first edition, 54 organisations from 19 countries participated in the competition. The jury, composed of the World Printers Forum board members, evaluated the entries and awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze prizes in six categories.
Judges score each entry based on the outlined criteria. All jury scores were combined to create an overall score for each entry. The scores were then totalled and the highest scoring entries determined the category winners. Judging Criteria were: Innovation, Creativity, Excellence, Customer Relevancy and Value.
The fifteen winners awarded in seven different categories, include Aftenposten
(Norway), Arab News
(UK), Bennett Coleman and Co, Times Group (India), Diari Ara
(Spain), El Tiempo
(Colombia), Funke Mediengruppe
(Germany), Jang Media Group (Pakistan), Prayukti Publications (India), Presse-Druck- und Verlags-GmbH (Germany), Straubinger Tagblatt/Landshuter Zeitung (Germany), Südkurier (Germany), Vacharaphol Co, Thairath Newspaper
(Thailand), Vaduzer Medienhaus (Liechtenstein), VRM (Germany), Waspada Press Publishing (Indonesia)
Gold, Silver and Bronze winners will be honoured on stage at the Networking Night of Ifra World Publishing Expo 2018 in Berlin on 9 October 2018.
Award winners 2018
1. Advertising innovation
- Ediciones especiales con publicidad no convencional en la Revista DonJuan, Casa Editorial El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia
- En el Blanco, Formatos de alto impacto , Casa Editorial El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia
- Jang VR, Jang Media Group, Karachi, Pakistan
2. Product innovation
- Plantation through Newspaper, Bennett Coleman and Co. Ltd., Mumbai, India
- Seamless Panorama with Bookmark, Bennett Coleman and Co. Ltd., Mumbai, India
- Thairath AR, Vacharaphol Co., Ltd., Bangkok, Thailand
3. New products
- #Karrieregeil, Südkurier GmbH Konstanz, Germany
- 4hundertdreizehn – Ein Inhalt, vier Gesichter – Zeitungs- Attraktivitätsoffensive, Presse-Druck- und Verlags-GmbH Augsburg, Germany
- Prayukti, Prayukti Publications Private Limited, Noida, India
4. Redesigned products
- Arab News Redesign, Arab News, London, UK
- Rediseño El Tiempo, Casa Editorial El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia
- Rediseño Portafolio, Casa Editorial El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia
5. Special editions
- A Comic-Book Newspaper, Diari Ara, Barcelona, Spain
- An artist’s newspaper, Diari Ara, Barcelona, Spain
- Liechtensteiner Frauenland, Vaduzer Medienhaus AG Vaduz, Liechtenstein
6. Products for young readers
- Aftenposten Junior, Aftenposten, Oslo, Norway
- Freistunde – a print brand for teenagers, Mediengruppe Straubinger, Tagblatt/Landshuter Zeitung, Straubing, Germany
- Kruschel – Newspaper for Kids, VRM, Mainz, Germany
7. Business innovation - Special mention
- Smartpaper One, Funke Mediengruppe, Essen, Germany
- Waspada U-Imaging Print Innovation, Waspada Press Publishing, Ltd., Medan, Indonesia