The Africa-EU Energy Partnership (AEEP) secretariat, organiser of the second High-Level Meeting of the AEEP, invites young journalists to be part of, and contribute to, the conference, to be held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from 12-13 February 2014.
Energy is a critical ingredient for development. In many countries, in particular in rural areas, the provision of energy services remains poor. The delivery of services is often linked to poor governance or accountability issues. To contribute to improving the reporting on such issues and to raising the awareness about the provision of energy services in a country, continuous reporting by journalists can help.
In its capacity as organiser of the second High-Level Meeting of the Africa-EU Energy Partnership (AEEP), the AEEP Secretariat invites young journalists to be part of, and contribute to, the conference, to be held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from 12-13 February 2014.
Up to 10 young journalists will be selected to work together, under the guidance of the communications team at the AEEP High-Level Meeting. Through their participation, selected young journalists will have the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of Africa-EU cooperation in the energy sector and the challenges various African countries continue to face in delivering energy services to their population.
While at the conference, young journalists will report on the conference sessions
- through Press Releases,
- through Social and New Media channels including Twitter,
- through video clips and interviews, and,
- the official conference website.
In addition, young journalists have the opportunity to submit stories, interviews, and reports to their own countries/outlets.
Prior to the conference, each young journalists will be required to submit one short story or video about an energy issue of their choice in their own country for publication.
Selected candidates will be asked to report on the second High-Level Meeting of the AEEP. As part of the scholarship, selected young journalists will receive a pre-conference briefing/training session with the AEEP secretariat, a round-trip economy class travel ticket to Addis Ababa, as well as accommodation and subsistence for the duration of their stay, including a refund of visa costs, and airport transfers.
Who are we looking for?
- You are not older than 35 years and based in Africa or the EU.
- You work as a print or online journalist, photojournalist, video journalist, and have at least three years of work experience across different media and platforms.
- You are fluent in English. French is an advantage.
- You have demonstrated your interest already and are eager to work more on energy and environment issues in your respective country.
How to apply
- Write a short essay (250-300 words; in English) why energy as a topic is important to you, and why you would want to join the second High-Level Meeting, as part of the conference communications team.
- To demonstrate your abilities and interests, send us samples or links to your articles, photos, blogs, videos, etc on topics related to what will be discussed at the conference.
- Include a resume/CV in English with references.
- Send your application package to the AEEP secretariat gro.ecnerefnoc-peea@stsilanruoj-gnuoy
- Deadline: 19 January 2014
Check the AEEP HLM website