This extended #EntrepreneurMonth, we go behind the selfie with serial multitasker Koo Govender - CEO of media agency Dentsu Aegis Network SA; founder of the Phakama Women's Academy; CEO of the AMF; and judge for Cannes Lions 2017, Loeries 2017 and AdFocus 2017 in the media and innovation category.
Govender explains: "This was taken at Pecanwood Golf Estate, after a friendly game of golf with my family. I love spending time outdoors and appreciating family and nature."
1. Where do you live, work and play?
I live and play in Eagle Canyon and work in Hyde Park.
2. What’s your claim to fame?
My philosophy is not about fame but about significance and leaving a legacy. As a result, I developed and launched the Phakama Women’s Academy, which equips young women for the corporate world.
The Phakama Women's Academy, an initiative founded by brand experience agency VWV Group two years ago to empower young women in the marketing, advertising and communications industry, has inducted its 2016 class...
18 Apr 2016
3. Describe your career so far.
It’s been filled with many contradictions: Challenging, yet rewarding. Failures and learnings with accomplishments and achievements. My quote that sums it up is: "Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." – Lao Tzu.
4. Tell us a few of your favourite things.
Family, friends, good south Indian home-cooked food paired with great wine. My collection of Louis Vuitton bags.
5. What do you love about your industry?
Its vibrant, dynamic, fast-paced energy and that I get to interact with amazing, talented people every day.
6. Describe your average workday, if such a thing exists.
There is nothing average about my work day… it’s super exciting!
7. What are the tools of your trade?
Building and maintaining authentic relationships and constantly being grounded and humble. Oh and of course, my Apple gadgets.
8. Who is getting it right in your industry?
Companies that are future-proofing themselves for the digital economy.
9. List a few pain points the industry can improve on.
Building an effective transformational pipeline for future leaders!
10. What are you working on right now?
Shhh… can’t tell.
11. Tell us some of the buzzwords floating around in your industry at the moment, and some of the catchphrases you utter yourself.
Innovation, disruption and the three E’s: Efficiencies, effectiveness and efficacy.
12. Where and when do you have your best ideas?
When I walk on the golf course in the early mornings.
13. What’s your secret talent/party trick?
14. Are you a technophobe or a technophile?
I’m a hybrid.
15. What would we find if we scrolled through your phone?
My shopping apps.
16. What advice would you give to newbies hoping to crack into the industry?
“Remember, one step leads to the other and therefore, never neglect the first step. It will give you the confidence you need to sail through with victory.” – Martin Luther King.
Simple as that. Click here for more from the Dentsu Aegis Network SA press office, here for Govender's MyBiz profile and interact with her on Twitter or email her on .
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This Message Board accepts no liability of legal consequences that arise from the Message Boards (e.g. defamation, slander, or other such crimes). All posted messages are the sole property of their respective authors. The maintainer does retain the right to remove any message posts for whatever reasons. People that post messages to this forum are not to libel/slander nor in any other way depict a company, entity, individual(s), or service in a false light; should they do so, the legal consequences are theirs alone. Bizcommunity.com will disclose authors' IP addresses to authorities if compelled to do so by a court of law.
Class act that lady. And an amazing person. Honour to have worked with her.