NEWSWATCH: Business Report senior journalist Donwald Pressly has been fired for seeking political office with the Democratic Alliance, reports news24, but he plans to appeal his dismissal, reports Mail & Guardian.
The Constitution | Constitution of the Republic of South Africa
- news24: Journalist fired over political ambitions... According to the news24 report, Business Report's Donwald Pressly "has been fired for seeking political office with the Democratic Alliance".
Independent Newspapers group executive editor Karima Brown is quoted as saying "...we hold the trust that our readers and audiences place in us very dearly and will do all we can to safeguard this."
- Mail & Guardian: Business Report journo to appeal dismissal... It is reported that Pressly is not taking his dismissal lying down and will appeal against it, reports Mail & Guardian.
And according to the Constitution...
Chapter 2Bill of rights (ss 7-39)Political rights
1. Every citizen is free to make political choices, which includes the right-
a. to form a political party;
b. to participate in the activities of, or recruit members for, a political party; and
c. to campaign for a political party or cause.
2. Every citizen has the right to free, fair and regular elections for any legislative body established in terms of the Constitution.
3. Every adult citizen has the right-
a. to vote in elections for any legislative body established in terms of the Constitution, and to do so in secret; and
b. to stand for public office and, if elected, to hold office.