The chair and judges for the Pendoring Awards
have been announced for this year's event, which takes place 1-3 September 2011 in Johannesburg. Chaired by Jan Teulingkx, ECD of Saatchi & Saatchi
in Brussels, the Afrikaans and Truly South African ads will be selected from entries received up until 15 August.
Teulingkx, a licensed psychologist, combined his studies with his first job as editor in chief of Trivial Pursuit and a TV writer. He took his first steps in advertising at a "not-so-cool-agency." To run away from it as far as possible, he headed for Argentina where he found proof that "in advertising everything is possible." He talked himself into a job as a copywriter in a language he did not speak - at the South American hot shop Agulla y Baccetti. At the time, the agency was at the top of its game and among the top three in the world.
He worked as a copywriter in the fast and relentless hot shop, Mortierbrigade, before he took on a job as, what he called, 'junior creative director' at Saatchi & Saatchi in Brussels. The agency has since won numerous national and international awards. As executive creative director, Teulingkx and his teams work on major network clients and new business projects, including Toyota, Guinness, Samsonite and T-Mobile.
He strongly believes in innovation, story and relevance, but does not like the words '360' or 'yes, but it was online'. He emphasises that every award should be an example for the industry, creatively as well as morally. "An award winner is a great piece of work, not just a smart way of entering. The best work has to enter and leave the festival through the main gate, not through a back door." Teulingkx says he's intrigued, motivated and a bit nervous to judge the best Afrikaans and South-African work.Judges
- Theo Ferreira, founder/executive creative director, Hello World
- Antoinette Fourie, copy writer, TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris]] Johannesburg
- Ivan Johnson, executive creative director, Net#work
BBDO Cape Town
- Hanlie Kriel, creative group head, The Jupiter Drawing Room
- Pepe Marais, executive creative director, Joe Public
- Annette Nel, creative director, Baie Lingual Blink Stefanus
- Mariana O'Kelly, executive creative director, Ogilvy Johannesburg
- Tseliso Rangaka, creative director, Ogilvy Johannesburg
- Grant Sithole, joint creative director, Draftfcb Johannesburg
- Morné Strydom, senior copy writer, Draftfcb Johannesburg
- Marius van Rensburg, creative director, ninety9cents, Cape Town
- Marius Vorster, marketing manager, DANONE
- Paul de Klerk, executive creative director, Etiket
- Rian van Heerden, presenter, Jacaranda 94.2 - radio
- Hanneke Schutte, freelance - students
- Mbuso Ndlovu, creative group head, Open Collaboration - Truly South African.
, Pendoring GM, says as all the judges on the panel have achieved significant success in their respective fields, the award is privileged to have so many proven advertising experts on the judging panel.For More list added at 11.11am on 14 September 2011.