Captivating adventure Worlds of Fantasy - presented by Feld Entertainment's Disney on Ice - will begin its South African tour on 26 June 2012 in Johannesburg and wrap it up in Cape Town on July 10, The Walt Disney Company Africa (TWDCA) country manager Christine Service told the media last week in Johannesburg.
The Coca-Cola Dome in Northgate and the Cape Town International Convention Centre in the city centre have been chosen as suitable venues for the tour, Service revealed, speaking at the Disney content showcase held at the Boundary Place in Illovo.
Worlds of Fantasy's contemporary and classic tales tour is set to take SA families to four magical locations, including the auto-racing terrain of Cars, and a visit to Andy's bedroom for some fun with the stars of Toy Story 3.
The organisers also said Worlds of Fantasy will see audiences embarked on a journey under the sea of Ariel's world from The Little Mermaid, and later into the mystical land of Pixie Hollow for a presentation of Tinker Bell.Programme highlights
Disney, which has been operating in SA for over 50 years, added two new channels, Disney XD and Disney Junior, mid-year on DStv. Disney Junior SA programme highlights include the premiering of Pooh Corner's The Mini Adventures of Winnie the Pooh on 7 November 2011 at 9.15am.
The following series are also included in the Disney Junior's November 2011 programmes:
- Build with Bungo: an energetic and colourful British animation, programming special on 21-25 November at 9.45am.
- Belle's Magical World: movie premiere on Saturday 19 November at 5.35pm, with a repeat on Sunday 20 November at 9.10am
- Minnie's Birthday Bow-nanza (Mickey Mouse Club's House): programming special on 18 November at 9.55am and 5.30am.
- Hot dogs Fridays: from Friday 4 November at 2.15pm.
- Art Attack: premieres episodes, 5 November at 10.45am. According to Service, Art Attack introduces millions of children to the world of art. Anyone can create a work of art from everyday's materials.
Others include Jake Never Land Pirates (a new interactive 2D and CG fun and music-filled animated series).Lonely Planet launching in SA
Meanwhile, BBC Worldwide has just announced that Lonely Planet will be launched in SA on 5 November 2011 at 5pm on BBC Knowledge (DStv). Lonely Planet is a TV package of travel programming that is made up of the following:
- Free Rein: a new commission from Lonely Planet TV and Freehand, in which screen legends Bryan Brown and Rachel Ward (The Thorn Birds) set out on the ultimate adventure across The Kimberley, the Outback's last frontier.
- Year of Adventures: an action-packed series, scheduled for next year, starring Ben Fogle and based on the Lonely Planet book of the same name. Currently filming in Wales, Europe, US and Australia, the series is a Lonely Planet TV and BBC Bristol production for BBC Worldwide Channels.
- Long Way Round: a motorcycle adventure starring Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor, with Boorman involved in a solo challenge from Sydney to Tokyo by any means.
According to Jana Bennett, president worldwide networks and global BBC iPlayer, Lonely Planet will roll out across all of BBC Worldwide's localised BBC Knowledge feeds around the world, namely Poland, Africa, Italy, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea.
In India, the block will feature on BBC Entertainment, as part of the multi-genre schedule that airs in that market, BBC Worldwide added.
BBC Worldwide, which took full ownership of the 38-year-old brand Lonely Planet in February 2011, has been holding a 75% stake in the company since 2007. Play your part
While Disney and BBC Worldwide have been sharpening their programming muscles to please their audiences, SABC1 yesterday, Sunday, 23 October 2011, at 12.30pm broadcast the first episode
of the 13-part Brand South Africa TV series linked to the Play Your Part campaign
For more, go to www.disneyjunior.co.za