On 27 September 2012, the winners of the 2012 Eco-Logic Awards, in association with SABC3, will be announced at a 'Glamorously Green Gala Dinner' at The Cradle of Humankind, Maropeng. The judges have selected the finalists for the event.
- Recycling - sponsored by Plastics South Africa - Afripack (KwaZulu-Natal), Collect-a-Can (Johannesburg), PRASA (Johannesburg), Indalo Yethu (Pretoria), Rocking the Daisies (Cape Town)
- Energy Saving - sponsored by The Enviropaedia - Kestrel (Port Elizabeth), RISO (Johannesburg), University of Free State, Asus, Vuka (Western Cape)
- Eco-Warrior - sponsored by MTN - Braam Malherbe (Cape Town), Ella Bella - Generation Earth (Johannesburg), Jonathan Deal - TKAG (Cape Town), Ivan Parkes GCSA (Gauteng), David Lipschitz - My Power Station (Cape Town)
- Eco-Angel- sponsored by Simply Green Magazine - Bridget Ringdahl - Eco Schools (KwaZulu-Natal), Jeunesse Park - Food and Trees for Africa (Johannesburg), Marcelle Meredith - NSPCA (Johannesburg), Karen Trendler - EWT (Johannesburg), Nicci Wright - FreeMe (Johannesburg)
- Eco-Community - sponsored by SABC3 - Coffee Shack (E Cape), University of Western Cape, Oyster Bay (Port Elizabeth), NACSA (Gauteng), LOWFT (E Cape)
- Biodiversity - sponsored by the Department of Environmental Affairs - SANCCOB (Cape Town), Wilderness (Johannesburg), Bergplaas Nature Reserve (E Cape), Food and Trees for Africa, EWT (W Cape)
- Climate Change - sponsored by Paarl Media - SAA (Johannesburg), LED lighting (Cape Town) Food and Trees for Africa (Johannesburg) Kestrel (E Cape), MTN (Johannesburg)
- Eco-Innovation - sponsored by Standard Bank - Kommunity Group Projects (Johannesburg), Betta Lights (Pretoria), RISO (Johannesburg), Skylar (Cape Town), Bottleworx (Johannesburg)
- Youth - sponsored by Pick n Pay - BlueBuck (Cape Town), Sean Hide - GrowaTree (Pretoria), Kgomotso Abel Mkhandawire or Thabo (from WESSA), Nikita van der Merwe (Johannesburg), Generation Earth - Ella Bella (Johannesburg)
- Water Conservation - sponsored by SAB and Rand Water - eWasha (KwaZulu-Natal), Eco Wash (Johannesburg), Reel Gardening (Johannesburg) Flamingo Casino (N Cape) Aquatrap (Cape Town)
- Transport - sponsored by ACSA - SAA (Johannesburg), Eqstra(Johannesburg), Findalift (Cape Town ), EWT (W Cape), Seed Experiences - Rocking the Daisies (Cape Town) The Water Conservation Award - for a product or service that results in water saving.
David Parry Davies, founder of The Enviropaedia and initiator of the awards in 2011, is happy with both the high calibre and number of entries this year. "The number of entries increased substantially this year with many coming from Gauteng.
"There are an increasing number of businesses and individuals who are leading the way towards a more sustainable and ecological way of living and working through their products, services and initiatives. One of our objectives is to create awareness that as consumers, we hold the power of the purse and that through our spending decisions we can support those organisations that are making a positive difference, or penalise those that do not care for the wellbeing of our planet. Every cent spent will either help support or destroy our planet, so we would like the public to know this and use their spending power constructively."
Jason Drew, eco- entrepreneur and author, is the keynote speaker at the gala dinner. The event is made possible by the sponsorship of Airports Company of South Africa (ACSA), Avis, RISO, Department of Environmental Affairs, Paarl Media, Plastics SA, Rand Water, SAB Miller and The Enviropaedia.
Posted on 20 Sep 2012 10:48