The 2014 brandhouse Responsible Drinking Media Awards have been presented and Ina Skosana and Madelene Cronje were joint winners of the Journalist of the Year Award for their story 'Violence, pregnant teenagers and booze at De Aar'.
The winner of each category received R10,000 and was acknowledged for his or her journalistic skill and the level of influence and support given to the responsible drinking agenda.Winners
Media house of the year
- Radio Khwezi, based on the number of valid entries received from this radio station
- Brenden Nel, Think when you drink rugby fans - www.supersport.com
- Nothile Zwane, Kwa-Zulu Natal Liquor Authority and Licenses - Radio Khwezi
Best campus media
- Sive Kokwana, Alcohol dependency corrupt good manners in society - Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
Best community radio
- Precious Maphumulo, Foetal alcohol syndrome; Dying of people who are on ARVs because of alcohol abuse; Kwa-Zulu Natal Liquor Authority Campaign - Radio Khwezi
- Amanda Ndlangisa, Things fall apart - Bona Magazine
- Ina Skosana and Madelene Cronje, Violence, pregnant teenagers and booze at De Aar -Mail & Guardian
Best online media
- Ina Skosana and Madelene Cronje, Violence, pregnant teenagers and booze at De Aar - Mail & GuardianPromoting responsible drinking
"At brandhouse, we acknowledge the various issues associated with alcohol and we are deeply committed to promoting responsible drinking," says Jeff Milliken, MD at brandhouse. "These awards are about encouraging the media to use their platforms to promote responsible drinking and ultimately change consumer behaviour.
"Thanks to this year's judging panel, made up of Welcome Msomi, Father Smangaliso Mkhatshwa, Khaya Dlanga and Kerry Cullinan - our judges represented a wide skill set and provided the awards with a completely holistic judging approach," concludes Milliken.