Marketing & Media trends
Construction & Engineering trends
CSI & Sustainability trends
Energy & Mining trends
HR & Recruitment trends
Logistics & Transport trends
Crimson, YouKnow launch social analytics-based trends report
Travel and Hospitality
- Family holidays are a central feature in the discussion around travel, with 26% of the discussion.
- 76% of the discussion around holiday and travel intent is happening on Twitter.
- From May 2016 onwards, Instagram has been the fastest growing content source for intention to travel, growing by 32% compared to the previous year.
- Beach-related conversation outdid bush-related conversation by a ratio of 2.7 to 1.
- During 2016, 58% watched Showmax vs the 42% who claimed to watch Netflix.
- Issues with pricing may also have been a factor, as Netflix does not price in rand.
- Nearly half (43%) of viewers still used a traditional/smart TV when streaming shows.
- Showmax has an older audience than Netflix, with 93% of contributions to the conversation coming from the over 25s, compared to 82% for Netflix.
- Android dominates over iOS, capturing 76% of share of voice between January 2014 to 31 December 2016.
- Twitter and Facebook both saw a 65% decline in gym-related posts over the four-year period.
- The over-35s make up a disproportionate amount of conversation volume around gym-going; over twice the amount of the next largest age group (25-34).
- Crossfit is on the rise on Instagram, making up the highest volume of content from Instagram (18%).
- People are shifting away from running towards cycling. Cycling has captured 8% of running’s volume over a 4-year period.
- BMW, Toyota, Mercedes, Audi and Ford are the most frequently mentioned of the top selling car brands in SA.
- Twitter is responsible for most of the conversation around automotives, with an 83% chunk of the overall volume.
- 58% of the conversation around servicing vehicles is negative.
- BMW receives the most positivity of any brand; 35% positive and only 19% negative.