Advertise & RatesMy Account
Company press officeList company
Recruitment packagesSubmit job ad
Download ratecard
Design forums

Archiving / Backup of Design/Video work

| 22 May 2011 12:06
I'm wondering how other agencies handle archiving of their work
We are a small design agency and are trying to improve our archive system. Currently we backup all projects (excluding video as it's too large), onto DVD, plus a duplicate DVD which we store off-site. It's a bit of an out-dated system so we are interested to find out if others have a better solution?

We also duplicate all work onto an external hard drive for ease of access, but it's more a question of how to handle an offsite copy of all archived work.

Also, has anyone used Time Machine - it looks interesting but a bit worried as to how fast it will fill up a TB if it's archiving every day?

Thanks for your suggestions! :)

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This Message Board accepts no liability of legal consequences that arise from the Message Boards (e.g. defamation, slander, or other such crimes). All posted messages are the sole property of their respective authors. The maintainer does retain the right to remove any message posts for whatever reasons. People that post messages to this forum are not to libel/slander nor in any other way depict a company, entity, individual(s), or service in a false light; should they do so, the legal consequences are theirs alone. Bizcommunity.com will disclose authors' IP addresses to authorities if compelled to do so by a court of law.
Matthew Gibbon
Matthew Gibbon
I personally have 10 external Hard drives.One 2TB external dedicated to this using Timemachine, with another dedicated to backing up just my works folder, I use Intego Backup pro a simple and easy app to use. Another way i also backup is once backed up onto drive mack a DVD as well but i use Disctracker to find my work. This is easy and effective to the point i can track my work to 1990..
Posted on 10 Dec 2012 14:36
Warren Rodel
There is no guarantee on External Hard Drives, My 2TB Verbatum has crashed after 3 months with all information lost (just over 1TB worth which is alot), a XServe is the best
Posted on 25 May 2011 16:15
Dion Nicholas
Dion Nicholas
Personally, i feel the DVD route is a waste of money. If you can afford a server that would be the best , and then have your data backed-up off-site once a week by a hosting company, there are many. We use an Xserve which is fairly old but still runs fantastically whilst 4-5 designers are connected, all our data runs off of the server (you should be able to pick up and Xserve reasonably priced these days).

Time machine is great but that means each machine will need an external drive, which may cost more in the long run.

HTH.
Posted on 25 May 2011 14:58