Now in its third decade, the 2012 South African Breweries (SAB) Sports Media Awards once again highlighted the dedicated professionalism of the South African sports media and the performers and fans that make up its world. The SAB Sports Media Sports Personality of the Year was Oscar Pistorius.
"We have worked hard to take the awards to the next level and to ensure that we recognised and rewarded those journalists who have excelled in their field," said Robyn Chalmers, head of media and communications at SAB.
"The awards have been through a rigorous evolution. We are pleased that the changes we have implemented have paid dividends, with the number of entries having substantially increased on the previous years."New award for fan unity
In keeping with the spirit of change, a new award was introduced this year, that of the "Castle Lager Superfan Moment of Unity" Award. This award went to the candidate who best captured fans being brought together by sport.
Thabo Leshilo, Awards' Convenor, believes that the many changes, together with a record amount of entries received this year, continue to position the awards as "the premier sports journalism contest in South Africa.
"Entries for this year continued the healthy trend of increased participation and improved quality. The marked increase in entries in sports other than the traditional soccer and rugby disciplines was also pleasing to note."Winners
- SAB Sports Columnist of the Year: Luke Alfred (Freelance)
- SAB Sports Feature Writer of the Year: Gary Lemke (Highbury Safika Media)
- SAB Sports News Reporter of the Year: David Isaacson (Avusa)
- SAB Sports Media Award 2012 for Print (Merit Winner): Jon Cardinelli (Highbury Safika Media)
- Winner of the SAB Sports Media Award 2012 for Print: Gary Lemke (Highbury Safika Media)
- SAB Sports Media Action Shot of the Year 2012: Anesh Debiky (Gallo Images)
- Winner of the SAB Sports Media Award 2012 for Photography: Herman Verwey (City Press)
- SAB Sports Social Media Correspondent of the Year: Styli Charalambous (The Daily Maverick)
- SAB Sports Blogger of the Year: Tyron Barnard (allthingsjabu.co.za)
- Winner of the SAB Sports Media Award 2012 for New Media: Kevin McCallum (iol.co.za)
- SAB Sports Commentator of the Year 2012 - Radio: Natalie Germanos (Radio 2000)
- SAB Sports Presenter of the Year 2012 - Radio: David O'Sullivan (Talk Radio 702)
- SAB Sports News Reporter of the Year 2012 - Radio: Marc Lewis (Eyewitness News - Sport)
- Winner of the SAB Sports Media Awards 2012 for Radio: David O'Sullivan (Talk Radio 702)
Castle Lager Superfan Moment of Unity Award Winner:
- SAB Sports News Reporter of the Year - Television: Ronald Masinda (eNCA)
- SAB Sports Commentator of the Year - Television: Mpumelelo Mbangwa (SuperSport)
- SAB Sports Presenter of the Year - Television: Mpumelelo Mbangwa (SuperSport)
- SAB Sports Producer of the Year - Television: Desiree Flint (SuperSport)
- Winner of the 2012 SAB Sports Media Award for Television: Mpumelelo Mbangwa (SuperSport)
SAB Sports Media Hall of Fame Inductees 2012:
- Chane' Toerien (SuperSport)
- Television Commentator: Hugh Bladen
- Sports Writer: Rodney Hartman (posthumous)
"On behalf of the group, we would like to congratulate all this year's entrants and winners and look forward to next year's competition, which opens in October 2013," said Chalmers.