In the tough world of directing commercials, the task of taking the concept received from an advertising agency or defining the concept themselves, adding creativity and vision crafts individuals that produce and bring to life award-winning campaigns.
Here are five up and coming talents to watch for in 2014
- he studied Film Directing at AFDA. While working as researcher, he shot a number of music videos, completed several documentaries and wrote a direct-to-DVD horror film, starring Lorry Petty and Collin Moss. With awards in a few filmmaking competitions to his credit, he has worked alongside directors such as Erik van Wyk and Dean Blumberg.
The last two years have seen him involved in directing campaigns for top South African and international brands, such as Nedbank, Investec, Toyota, Defy, SABMiller, Capitec Bank, Apple and Absa.
- a student Oscar winner, invitee to three Cannes Film Festivals and jury member at the FAK Festivals in Vienna, possesses a wealth of talent. The six years he spent, as KTV television presenter is what inspired him to become involved in directing. He has directed commercials for Castle Lite, Vodacom, Legit, Samsung, Zodiac and Steers.
- graduated from film school before moving to the US to complete his filmmaker's residency through the International Film and Television Workshops. His experience includes working for a number of years in the art department on international feature films being shot in Southern Africa and the role of first assistant director on commercials and writing of scripts for TV dramas.
He has directed a wide range of commercials, from children of all ages, animals, live action combined with visual effects and animation, lifestyle and beauty through to comedy and tabletop settings. Clients include Coca-Cola, Hollard, Clover-Danone, Cipla Medicines, Edgars, OUTsurance, LegalWise, Kerrygold, Nigerian Breweries and Pick n Pay.
- started his professional life as a TV presenter in Gauteng, following this up with relocation to Cape Town to study film and TV production. In the last few years, he has received numerous awards and accolades. These include Best Short Film at Sithenghi Film Festival (Jameson Award), a nomination in the Durban International Film Festival, numerous awards for public service announcements in Dubai and South Africa (VUKA Awards), Cannes International Critic Week, Tampere Film Festival in Finland and the 16th Africa Film Festival in Milan, where he was the youngest director competing.
His involvement in skill transfer also sees him lecturing at various schools, such as Boston Media House and City Varsity. His campaigns include MTN and LOTTO.
- her love for and background in photography, research and music videos has resulted in this young director being successful. We see her work in advertisements including Toyota Hilux, Nissan, Toyota Fortuner, Cotlands, AIG, Nike and Vodacom.