The Press Council of SA is inviting applications for the position of press ombud.
This comes after the previous ombudsman Johan Retief resigned from the Press Council for personal reasons late last month.
NEWSWATCH: South African Press Ombudsman Johan Retief has resigned from the Press Council for personal reasons...
23 Oct 2018
Applicants are required to have extensive media experience, a fair understanding of the workings of the South African legal system and a finely tuned sense of public service.
Applicants must be citizens of the Republic of South Africa and reside permanently in the country. She/he must be committed to the values underpinning the South African Constitution, as well as the Code of Ethics and Conduct for South African Print and Online Media.
The position is for a term of five years, which may be renewed.
The press ombud’s tasks
- Adjudicate complaints lodged against newspapers, magazines and online publications
- that subscribe to the Press Code;
- Participate in information programmes with the media and the public;
- Contribute to quarterly and annual reports to the Press Council; and
- Assist the Executive Director with managing the office of the Press Council.
For more information, click here