Around 2700 wine lovers arrived over the two days at RMB WineX Cape Town Select 2012 to taste more than 400 wines, revisit show regulars and acquaint themselves with new producers.
This year saw the introduction of the RMB WineX app and a digital ballot in parallel with the in-house voting. In association with Samsung Electronics, votes were cast on Galaxy tablets stationed in the wine hall and via show visitors' smartphones and mobile devices with the Samsung Best Wine on Show leader board adding to the excitement. Winners
The audited results confirm Franschhoek producer Lynx Wines the overall winner.
- Best Red Wine on Show
- Lynx Cabernet Franc 2011
- Café Culture Coffee Pinotage 2011
- Tokara Director's Reserve Red 2008
- Best White Wine on Show (includes rosés and sparkling wines) - RMB WineX Cape Town Select 2012
- Lynx Viognier 2012
- Haute Cabrière Chardonnay Pinot Noir 2012
- Hamilton Russell Vineyards Chardonnay 2011
The other nine wines making the top ten best red wine listings, including tied positions, are (in alphabetical order according to producer):
- Backsberg Family Reserve Red 2005
- Boekenhoutskloof The Chocolate Block 2011
- Bouchard Finlayson Galpin Peak Pinot Noir 2011
- Diemersdal Pinotage Reserve 2011 (new label)
- Eagles' Nest Shiraz 2009
- Epicurean 2008
- Haute Cabrière Unwooded Pinot Noir 2011
- The Lynx 2009
- Roodeberg Dr Charles Niehaus Roodeberg 2010
The other seven wines making the top ten best white wine listings are (in alphabetical order according to producer):
- Ashbourne Sauvignon Chardonnay 2012
- Boschendal 1685 Chardonnay 2011
- Creation Viognier 2012
- Ken Forrester FMC 2010
- KWV The Classic Shiraz Rosé 2012
- Oneiric Sauvignon Blanc 2010
- Steenberg 1682 Chardonnay Méthode Cap Classique 2011
Commenting on this year's poll, RMB WineX director, Michael Fridjhon said, "Cape Town lived up to its reputation as a discriminating community of wine savvy tasters, with the wines topping the charts showing a combination of show laureates, cuvées from highly respected boutique cellars, exciting newcomers and fashionable favourites."
Shop@Show, facilitated by PicardiRebel in Cape sold just less than R101 000 in wine sales with Bouchard Finlayson as the top selling exhibitor by volume and Strandveld Vineyards by value. Charities benefit
WineX is a supporter of several charities and conservation projects: The Waterfront sector of Rotary Club South Africa raised significant funds through the payment for the stock distribution at the show and proceeds raised from exhibitor wine donations. All proceeds raised through the coin-operated breathalysers went to the Pebble Project. It also supported the promotion of RAGE (Rhino Action Group Effort) and WWF's Biodiversity and Wine Initiative. The Wesland Art Society, which raises funds for investment in the West Coast farming community sold its individually painted wine barrels at the show.