As consumers are greatly influenced by the visual information, which they gather in the first split second, shelf impact is critical in stock movement. Brand owners can insist that products are prominently displayed and advise the visual merchandising team on how to get the greatest impact necessary to ensure that products both attract and engage the consumer.
Pyrotec offers this visual merchandising checklist as an aid to brand owners:
- Let your products be seen - do not let your goods be hidden on the lowest shelf. Aim to ensure that your brand is displayed prominently. The company's Do-It Adhesive Display Strips provide a practical way to display your products vertically where customers can see them and allows you to group complementary products together.
- Use creative imagery - lighting design techniques can be incorporated to stimulate consumers' imaginations. Shining a spotlight on Do-It's Printed Point-Of-Purchase Signs can create a striking visual effect and thus drive the desire for brand association.
- Get colourful - one effective way to grab your customer's attention is with a knowledgeable use of colours, as they carry associations of emotions, holidays and gender. By understanding some of these associations, you can target your merchandising to the correct audience using a specific colour palette. The company's Do-It Coloured Tabs will be helpful in utilising the appropriate colour for your product. Cracking the colour code in the retail context:
- Yellow/ Red: Attention grabbing
- Green: Health, freshness, natural, eco-friendly
- Brown: Home, earthiness
- Black: Sophistication, elegance, exclusivity
- Blue: Trust, reliability (although blue can have a negative effect if associated with food)
- Pink: Femininity
- Consider the customer - it is important to consider how potential customers respond to the visual elements of displays. For example, it is important not to crowd too many items onto the shelves or hooks. Consider arranging products so that light colours are on the left side of the display, with darker colours on the opposite side, naturally drawing the eye across.
- Keep it fresh - maintaining effective visual merchandising is an ongoing process. It is important to update product displays regularly. Use on-pack devices (such as Fix-a-Form) and incentives as cost-effective ways to keep displays attention-grabbing and relevant. Keep the display fresh, exciting and engaging.
For more information, go to www.pyrotec.co.za