The Diageo SA Responsible Drinking Media Awards (RDMAs) has announced the finalists for 2018.
The RDMAs recognise journalists and media at large for their efforts to positively influence perceptions and habits related to the irresponsible use of alcohol.
The awards are open to South African journalists who produce content that relates to responsible drinking and the impact of alcohol abuse, including issues such as drink driving, underage drinking, foetal alcohol syndrome, binge drinking and alcohol-related violence. Any published material on any media platform that aims to support this cause is eligible to enter the awards and win a prize.
The winner of each category will walk away with R15,000 and a public acknowledgement for their efforts to help combat alcohol abuse in South Africa.
- Best Newspaper (Circulation 50k and/or Community) – Samantha Lee (People’s Post); Marvin Charles (Cape Argus) and Nicole McCain (People’s Post).
- Best Newspaper (Circulation 50k) – Claire Keeton (Sunday Times); Norman Masungwini (Sunday Sun); Marchelle Abrahams (Sunday Tribune).
- Best Online – Lynette Botha (Marie Claire Online); Vennessa Scholtz (Blog Hotspot); Devon Koen (Herald Live).
- Best Magazine – Lynette Botha (Marie Claire); Ilse Salzwedel (Rooi Rose) and Leigh Hermon (Essentials).
- Best TV – Siyabonga Mbuzwana Vithi, Busisiwe Gumede, Zola Brunner, Karen Mwendera and Debbie Meyer (eNCA); Cleopatra Jones (SABC 3); Cassandra Zungu (SABC).
- Best Radio (Commercial and/or Large Stations) – Philippa Hudson and Amy-Rae Rispel (Cape Talk); Megan Lubke (Talk Radio 702) and Jonathan Fairbairn (Talk Radio 702).
- Best radio (non-commercial and/or regional stations) – Juju Senyatsi (Alex FM); Pieter Cloete (Groot FM) and Zingisa Chirwa (Rise FM).
- Journalist of the Year, Best Up and Coming and Media House of the Year - to be announced on the evening of the awards ceremony.
Mix of media experts
The 2018 judging panel was a mix of media experts consisting of opinion editor and writer, Caiphus Kgosana, SABC’s group executive of news and current affairs, Phathiswa Magopeni, editor and journalist Bongani Siqoko, political journalist and chairperson of Sanef, Mahlatse Mahlase and award-winning journalist and media leader, Mary Papayya.
“It is encouraging to see how many journalists are actively producing content to engender social change in South Africa,” says Caiphus Kgosana who acted as the editing judge this year.
“The entries were diverse in content and touched on a wide range of topical issues, from alcohol advertising regulations to more general stories and accounts of alcohol abuse”.
Winners will be announced at an official awards ceremony on 13 September 2018 and this year, Haig Club Clubman, a single malt whiskey in the Diageo brand stable, will be the official event sponsor.
For more information on the awards, click here