The 14 shortlisted projects for the 2017/18 AfriSam-South African Institute of Architects (SAIA) Award for Sustainable Architecture + Innovation have been announced.
The projects are across four categories - Sustainable Architecture, Research in Sustainability, Sustainable Products and Technology, and Sustainable Social Programmes.
Entries, submitted earlier this year, were required to demonstrate sound sustainable practices that respond to innovative architectural and design thinking in the field of sustainability, and that complied to the criteria of harmonisation, people upliftment, evolutionary paradigm and placemaking performance.
- Northcliff House by Architecture for a Change (A4aC);
- Khayelitsha Shared Services Office Building by ACG Architects and Development Planners/ Ngonyama Okpanum Associates;
- House Burnett Prinsloo by Robert de Jager, Architect;
- Fulham Heights by Local Studio (Pty) Ltd;
- House Gardiner by Simply Sustainable;
- RBDIZ Entrance Gate by Jeremy Steere Architect; and
- Johannesburg Holocaust and Genocide Centre by Lewis Levin Architect
Research in Sustainability:
- A framework for a green infrastructure planning approach in the Gauteng City-Region by Gauteng City-Region Observatory
Sustainable Products and Technology:
- Rambrick by Use It Waste Beneficiation (RF) NPC; and
- hearScreen by hearX Group
Sustainable Social Programmes:
- Malawi Church by A4aC Architects;
- Silindokuhle Preschool by Collectif saga;
- The Wilds – revitalising a forgotten public space by James Delaney; and
- Table House by noero architects cc/ rainer hehl
The adjudicators for the AfriSam-SAIA Award for Sustainable Architecture + Innovation are Maryke Cronje (architect and president of the SAIA), Dr Sechaba Maape (sustainability architecture academic and architect), Philippa Tumubweinee (academic and co-founder of IZUBA INafrica Architects), Niraksha Singh (AfriSam raw materials and sustainability manager), Dr Emmanuel Nkambule (academic with particular interest in the social environment) and Richard Stretton (founder of architecture and furniture design studio Koop Design).
The AfriSam-SAIA Award for Sustainable Architecture + Innovation will form part of a gala event on 26 October at the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (MOCAA).