Earlier this week, South African Breweries (SAB) inducted world-renowned conservationist Dr Ian Player into its inaugural SAB Environmental Hall of Fame as part of the SAB Environmental Media and Environmentalist of the Year Awards 2012.
Dr Player, who was instrumental in starting these awards nearly two-and-a-half decades ago and served as convener until last year, was presented with the award by ex-Protea's player, now-turned conservationist, Mark Boucher.
"We've been considering implementing this award for some time now, but it was only when Dr Player resigned as convenor, that we thought it appropriate to have him as our first inductee," said Robyn Chalmers, corporate communications head of SAB.
The Environmental Media winners and merit winners were announced in four major categories and the Environmentalist of the Year was also named. Award-winning quality of most entries
Incoming convener and former newspaperman Peter Sullivan was encouraged by the increase in entries, particularly in the print category. Sullivan commented on the award-winning quality of most of the entries. Water seems to have been the dominant topic among this year's entries.
"I was reminded of the first man to be both a cosmonaut and astronaut, Jean-Loup Chretien, an American who spent six months in the Soviet Mir Space Station. When he returned to Earth, he said that he felt a desperate need to warn the planet of how precious its water is," commented Sullivan.The SAB Environmental Media Award Winners 2012 are:
- Winner: Joy Summers (Carte Blanche)
- Merit Winners: Phillip Lennon (50/50), Russell Perks (50/50), Nikki and Jacques Otto (Carte Blanche)
- Print and New Media
- Winner: Sheree Bega (The Star)
- Merit Winners: Kristen van Schie (The Star), Lebogang Seale (The Star), Christine Rousseau (Lowveld Media)
- Winner: Scott Ramsay (Yearinthewild.com)
- The Magqubu Ntombela and Ian Player Cub Award (for journalists with under five years' experience)
- Winner: Minoshni Pillay (SABC Radio)
- The Nick Steele Memorial Award for the SAB Environmentalist of the Year 2012
- Winner: Cormac Cullinan (director of Cullinan & Associates)
- Merit Winner: Mariette Liefferink ( CEO: Federation for a Sustainable Environment)