PRETORIA: Tourism Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk has announced the appointment of the new board members of South African Tourism (SAT), which will now be headed by Frank Kilbourn, the deputy chairperson of the previous SAT board.
Zwelibanzi Mntambo, the previous chairperson of the Remuneration Committee of the SAT board, was appointed to deputy chairperson.
Others in the 11-member board include SAA CEO Siza Mzimela and Ayanda Ntsaluba, Executive Director of Discovery Holdings and former Director-General of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation.
The new board also includes:
- Kananelo Makhetha: MD of Connex Travel and the former President of the Association of South African Travel Agents
- Tumi Makgabo: Executive Producer of Tumi &Co, a broadcast and media production company
- Graham Wood: Deputy Chairperson of the Tourism Business Council of South Africa and MD of Southern Sun Hotels and Resorts
- Nomaxabiso Majokweni: CEO of Business Unity South Africa
- Alan Moore: CEO of the Board of Airline Representatives of South Africa
- Thebe Ikalafeng: Founder of Brand Leadership Group, South Africa
South African Tourism is the national tourism agency responsible for marketing South Africa as a destination internationally and domestically. It aims to make tourism the leading economic sector in South Africa, and so promote sustainable economic and social empowerment of all South Africans.
At the same time, South Africa is marketed as an integral part of Africa and particularly the subcontinent of southern Africa.