Feedback

Marketing & Media news

Subscribe to industry newsletters


Press offices

Enquire about a press office
Bizcommunity has over 400 industry contributors and we always welcome further contributions and contributors.
Advertise with us
Advertise & RatesMy Account
Company press officeList company
Recruitment packagesSubmit job ad
Download ratecard
Marketing & Media news

Gautrain bus drivers in firing line

7 Feb 2012 07:53
The process of dismissing Gautrain bus drivers, who have embarked on an illegal strike, has begun, Bombela Concession spokesperson Errol Braithwaite announced on Monday.
In terms of the disciplinary procedures invoked following their illegal strike on 1 February, Gautrain bus drivers were given until 11am on Friday, 3 February, to make representation as to why they should not be dismissed.

Braithwaite said the drivers requested an extension of the deadline and Mega Express (the Gautrain bus operating company) agreed to extend the deadline to 1pm.

"Shortly before 1pm, a request was received requesting a further extension. Again, in the interests of maximum fairness, Mega Express agreed to extend the deadline to 4pm. A submission from the drivers was subsequently received.

"Following careful consideration of the submission, and bearing in mind that this is the fourth illegal work stoppage in the last six months and that it is in defiance of a court interdict compelling the drivers to return to work, the management of Mega Express came to the view that the contents of the submission did not provide justifiable grounds to halt the disciplinary procedures," said Braithwaite.

"As a consequence the process to dismiss those drivers involved in the illegal strike has now begun."

Braithwaite said approximately 300 drivers were affected.

All Gautrain bus services remain suspended on Monday morning. Mega Express is now working on plans to implement at least a skeleton bus service on key routes as soon as possible, but this will not be possible today.

Gautrain has apologised to passengers for the inconvenience.

Last month, drivers went on strike because they wanted Mega Express to provide them with transport from their homes to their place of work every day.


SOURCE

SAnews.gov.za
SAnews.gov.za is a South African government news service, published by the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS). SAnews.gov.za (formerly BuaNews) was established to provide quick and easy access to articles and feature stories aimed at keeping the public informed about the implementation of government mandates.
Go to: http://www.sanews.gov.za
    
 
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This Message Board accepts no liability of legal consequences that arise from the Message Boards (e.g. defamation, slander, or other such crimes). All posted messages are the sole property of their respective authors. The maintainer does retain the right to remove any message posts for whatever reasons. People that post messages to this forum are not to libel/slander nor in any other way depict a company, entity, individual(s), or service in a false light; should they do so, the legal consequences are theirs alone. Bizcommunity.com will disclose authors' IP addresses to authorities if compelled to do so by a court of law.

News