The Kalk Bay Theatre will be the venue at which ImproGuise, players of Cape Town's longest running, award-winning and most popular live show, TheatreSports, presents Cape Town's first Improv Festival, which will run from Tuesday to Saturdays at 8pm, from 29 January until 9 February, 2013.
TheatreSports is the hilarious, high-octane and entirely improvised show, in which the audience decides what they're going to see. No two shows are ever the same as the quick-thinking, sharp-witted and absurdly talented team make it up as they go. Their recent 12-hour soap-a-thon was a runaway success and raised R12 000 for Rape Crisis.
A full festival feast of 10 shows
"Kicking off our jam-packed 2013 calendar of events is Cape Town's first Improv Festival," said Tandi Buchan, long-standing member of Improguise. "It's not one, not two, but a full festival feast of 10 shows with pure improvised fun. Every night there will be a different theme, providing great entertainment for the whole family."
The Improv Festival line-up is:
- The Tuesday night regular: TheatreSports evenings for their diehard, short-form improv fans.
- Wednesday Westerns: Come and see a full-on Western, in two parts, all made up and as exciting as a posse in pursuit.
- Thursdays at Thornton Hall: Thursdays will be devoted to the delicate expression of feelings, love, marriage and money in the most civilised and mannered style of Jane Austen.
- Friday Family Musicals: The perfect time for the whole family to come and get a dose of improv, made up and sung too, because there is no school on Saturday.
- Super Scene Saturdays: Highly competitive, very skilled and expertly executed improv, in which directors create their scenes, pitch new ideas to the audience and only the most brilliant one survives and is completed. Ruthlessly brilliant and addictive.
TheatreSports is performed throughout the year every Tuesday night at Kalk Bay Theatre. Look out for their other events in 2013, including their first Improv course from 28 February until 18 April.
Tickets to shows at the Improv Festival cost R60. Enjoy a burger and chips for only R50 with Funkie Chef's famous chocolate brownies after the show when guests can meet the performers, for R35. Dinner bookings need to be pre-booked.
Take advantage of the great family special of R180 for four tickets. Tickets for students and scholars cost R40, available at the door only.
For bookings and further information, go to www.kbt.co.za