BAMAKO: As its military offensive against Islamist rebels in Mali goes into the fifth week, French troops on Thursday, 7 February 2013, continued their northward advance to capture more towns, alleviating concerns that the West African country may plunge into chaos following the insurgence.
French troops on Thursday began to withdraw from the northern city of Timbuktu, which was once a booming trade centre and boasts important cultural relics, with some destroyed by the rebels only in recent weeks.
According to reports, only a small number of French soldiers stayed in the city to take guard along with the Malian government forces, which French military officers said should now be shouldering major security responsibility there.
French troops also took control of the Kidal airport, while the city and surroundings are patrolled by some of the 1 800 Chadian troops taking part in the operation.
Though war dust seemed to have settled in Timbuktu and Kidal, operations were still going on to recapture the strategic town of Gao, nearly two weeks after the French and Malian troops moved into the area.
Further to the north, the French and Chadian soldiers are also poised to take hold in the border town of Tessalit, after their victory in recapturing the town of Aguelhok nearby.
Some mountain caves in the two towns, located near the border with Algeria, were believed to be the hideouts for fleeing rebels.
Paris said it could start scaling back its 4 000 troops from Mali as early as March and it also urged the United Nations to come up with a peacekeeping mission for Mali by April.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius on Wednesday urged a swift deployment of African forces in Mali, saying France could not be there for a long time.
The French military operations in Mali so far have been effective and successful, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon told the press on Thursday.
The UN chief also expressed concern that the armed groups and terrorist elements in Mali that fled amid French troops' offensive might come back and stage reprisal attacks.
SAnews.gov.za SAnews.gov.za is a South African government news service, published by the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS). SAnews.gov.za (formerly BuaNews) was established to provide quick and easy access to articles and feature stories aimed at keeping the public informed about the implementation of government mandates. Go to: http://www.sanews.gov.za
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This Message Board accepts no liability of legal consequences that arise from the Message Boards (e.g. defamation, slander, or other such crimes). All posted messages are the sole property of their respective authors. The maintainer does retain the right to remove any message posts for whatever reasons. People that post messages to this forum are not to libel/slander nor in any other way depict a company, entity, individual(s), or service in a false light; should they do so, the legal consequences are theirs alone. Bizcommunity.com will disclose authors' IP addresses to authorities if compelled to do so by a court of law.