Putting on a pair of designer sunglasses and belt can make an ordinary outfit look extraordinary. However, you still need to have at least a decent selection of clothes to go with those accessories. So too can this analogy be applied to your finances. In fact you could say the following article is a ladies guide to the must-have 'life' accessories that make for a solid financial future.
Worth and wealth
- Your earning power is one of the most important assets that you have and one that should be protected like an investment. There is nothing better than the freedom that comes with financial stability. With that in mind, realise that wealth isn't the only thing that will make you happy. It's financial security that will allow you to be satisfied with what you have. Know your worth and don't ever fear success. Health
- It is important that women find the time to go for regular check-ups. Pre-emption is better than cure and regular visits to the doctor can help identify and treat infections as well as identify early signs of more serious illness or dreaded diseases. There are a few check-ups that every women should have at least once a year, including; a pap smear, mammogram, skin cancer test, HIV test, diabetes and bone destiny test. Your body - in any shape or size - is a gift that should be treasured and you should celebrate life by taking care of your health as a priority.Savings and budgets
- Get into the habit of saving. First, work out your monthly budget by writing down everything you spend. This will help you see where your money is going, allowing you to spend more wisely and save more. An easy way to start saving is to deposit a percentage of your salary every month into a savings account as soon as you get paid. That way you are less likely to spend impulsively. Putting away a little each month will provide you with a cushion fund in times of emergencies and/or unplanned spending. Of course, you can also treat yourself at the spa with the girls every now and again, as knowing that your finances are in order will give you more peace of mind and time to celebrate the really important things in your life.Forward thinking
- Statistics South Africa research* has shown that women, on average, live four years longer than men. This emphasises the need for women to plan carefully with their partners. Taking out life insurance is a way to make sure that any debts are paid in full when the unthinkable happens. Life insurance is often overlooked when it comes to financial planning. Yet, it's one of the most important things to secure your assets and ensure your finances are well looked after when you're no longer there. The monthly premiums are inexpensive and you can find a policy where the benefits are a little more tailored to your specific needs in your current life stage.Independence
- Being an independent woman is by far the most valuable and timeless accessory you can have. You live true to your values, work hard to make your own money, and follow your own path in life. Be confident and happy in that and you will stay motivated. There's nothing more attractive than a women who knows where she's going and how she plans to get there.
*Women & Men in South Africa: Five Years On