JP Joubert became the EFC Africa's first light heavyweight champion during the main event of EFC Africa 15, when he knocked out Norman Wessels to secure the title.
The occasion went out across the globe, thanks to national and international television deals, pay-per-view online streaming and Nu Metro cinemas. e.tv broadcast the evening's three main card bouts across Africa, while a recently signed deal with Fight Now TV had EFC Africa 15 hitting the US, Canada and the Bahamas, live for the first time.
One of the evening's main highlights was the middleweight clash between Darren Daniel and Tyron Rightford. After roughly two years out of action, Daniel made a massively successful return to the hexagon by defeating Rightford in the second round of their hype-heavy bout. After weeks of online insults and a heated weigh-in, Daniel proved to be the more potent athlete by smashing his way to a TKO.
Submit or lose consciousness
Welterweight rivals Martin "The Punisher" van Staden and Dino "The Lion" Bagattin made good on their promise to throw heavy leather. Van Staden riled his opponent by waking out to The Lion Sleeps Tonight - and almost made it a reality in the third round of their bout. Great boxing exchanges gave way to a ground tussle and it was Van Staden who managed to sink in a choke, forcing Bagattin to submit or lose consciousness.
Leon Mynhardt surprised pundits with his well-rounded attack plan. Considered primarily a striker, Mynhardt managed to beat submission specialist Alex Cheboub at his own game. The tenacious lightweight cinched up a guillotine choke in the opening moments of round two and now looks toward challenging current champion Costa Ioannou for the most coveted belt on the continent.
The Fight of the Night went to Martin van Staden and Dino Bagattin for their back-and-forth tussle.
The Submission of the Night went to Martin van Staden for eventually securing victory with a D'Arce choke.
The Knockout of the Night went to JP Joubert for his power-punching TKO title fight victory.
- Lance Ceronio defeated Mahmoud Salama by submission (rear naked choke) in round one.
- JC Lamprecht defeated Hector Britts by submission (keylock) in round one.
- Boyd Allen defeated Alain Ilunga by submission (strikes) in round two.
- Francois Kabulu defeated David Buirski by unanimous decision after three rounds.
- Liam Cleland defeated Tumelo Maphutha by disqualification (illegal technique - kick to the head of a downed opponent) in round two.
- Donavin Hawkey defeated Chett Meyer by submission (guillotine choke) in round one.
- Andrew van Zyl defeated Mohamed Karim by TKO in round one.
- Martin van Staden defeated Dino Bagattin by submission (D'Arce choke) in round three.
- Leon Mynhardt defeated Alex Cheboub by submission (guillotine choke) in round two.
- Darren Daniel defeated Tyron Rightford by TKO in round two.
- Jason Culverwell defeated Raymond Ahana by TKO in round three.
- Garreth McLellan defeated Armand De Bruyn by submission (rear naked choke) in round one.
- JP Joubert defeated Norman Wessels by TKO in round two.
EFC Africa returns to Carnival City on 19 October for EFC AFRICA 16. Tickets on sale at Computicket www.computicket.com
and tickets for the live broadcast to Nu Metro Cinemas available at www.numetro.co.za
The three main card bouts will be broadcast live across Africa on e.tv, starting at 10.40pm. Full event streamed live online and more information available at efcafrica.com
Posted on 30 Jul 2012 10:39