Senior Lecturer - Research Studies
|Location:||Durban, Glen Anil|
Afda is inviting applications for the position of a senior lecturer: research studies
Afda is looking for a committed and dedicated lecturer with the required academic experience to conceptualize, develop and deliver lectures that draw from a broad spectrum of the humanities, which is offered in the categories of narrative, performance, medium, aesthetics and business. These theoretical inputs take the form of text analyses of a broad variety of entertainment products and the associated knowledge domains which inform them. The aim of research studies/production course is to provide students with the critical insights to conceptualise entertainment products that are relevant to a broad spectrum of audiences. The Senior Research lecturer will also oversee pre-production presentations of student work as well as the assessment of the final product.
The position requires someone with drive and initiative who is able to motivate and guide students to conceptualise engaging, entertaining and insightful works for a wide variety of exhibition platforms within the creative economies. The candidate needs to demonstrate a willingness to embrace AFDA’s unique pedagogy which is the basis of the interdisciplinary teaching at AFDA. There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching, and the need to help the students identify and develop a distinctive African voice to their productions. In this way we hope to be able to contribute to nation-building and build the foundations for a sustainable local creative industry.Roles and responsibilities
Term curriculum and appropriate teaching strategies delivered
- The Research Studies lecturer will oversee the running of research studies in 3rd year but ensuring marks are delivered from the 1st and 2nd year tutors or lecturers, and that the requirements are met in that year groups.
- Will be responsible for delivering lectures to Third Years, arranging formative research presentations VALAS, by sourcing panellists and timetabling the assessment events in conjunction with Production Studies.
- Will assist in the review of assessment criteria for Research Studies.
- Will ensure all written assessments are marked and captured into CARS.
- Will help arrange the third years into project teams and will provide support for them in this regard, though the main onus falls onto the shoulders of motion picture faculty.
- All lectures will be delivered online delivered via the campus WI-FI.
- Lecturing 3rd year BA Motion Picture Medium and BA Live Performance degree students on
Term classes, resources and student participation ensured
- Term curriculum delivered to appropriate NQF Level Descriptors
- Term teaching strategies developed and implemented
- Term lesson plans researched, prepared and delivered
Valid term assignments, assessments and marks delivered
- Term learning requirements planned, staffed, delivered
- Term facilities and equipment requirements planned and delivered
- Term class learning participation ensured
Term projects and resources planned and delivered
- Term learning narratives explained and assigned
- Valid term assignments and assessments disseminated and delivered
- Term marks and moderation reports collected and delivered
Term Learning reviews completed and implemented
- Term Projects planned and scheduled according to resources
- Term project facilities and equipment available, functional & maintained
- Term resources/tutors, budgets planned, allocated and maintained
- Required term learning reports compiled and delivered
- Term learning statutory requirements adhered to and documented
- Term learning/tutorial reviews submitted and amendments implemented
- Willingness to adapt to AFDA's curriculum, syllabus, schematics and methodologies and pedagogy.
- Willingness to adhere and embody AFDA values.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other teaching staff.
- Excellent time and deadline management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Physically and emotionally well adaptable to change.
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Inter-personal skills.
- Ability to research independently.
- Ability to manage a budget.
- Ability to manage inventory of facilities and equipment.
- The capacity to research and adapt to new developments in technology.
- Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality.
- Maturity to handle a range of situations.
- Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence.
- A meticulous and thorough nature.
- An ability to work to tight deadlines.
- To show initiative.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Culturally aware and sensitive.
- Willingness to support student development.
- Relevant honours or masters degree.
- Established work experience in tertiary education.
- Industry and/or knowledge of the film/television and/or performance industries.
- AFDA employs candidates in line with the Employment Equity Act and as such preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from designated groups.
Posted on 19 Apr 09:16, Closing date 17 Jun
Or apply with your Biz CV
Create your CV once, and thereafter you can apply to this ad and future job ads easily.