This year sees the introduction of Decorex SA's extensive new trade programme, which includes the Architecture + Interior Design Africa conference as well as a trade only preview morning, business match-making and a trade networking function.
The two trade focused days of the exhibition - 6th & 7th August - will comprise of these various activities in order to promote and facilitate business and meaningful introductions, interactions and networking for both exhibitors as well as delegates and visiting industry professionals.
Cairey Baxter-Bruce, head of Business Development at Decorex SA and convenor of Architecture + Interior Design Africa said the conference is aimed at inspiring conversations and learnings in the fields of architecture, interior design and building, with a particular focus on Africa.
"This conference is about promoting design and development, sharing key business knowledge and highlighting the creative collaborations in Africa."
This insightful event will be hosted and facilitated by Gregg Cocking, editor of African Design magazine
who are the media partner to Architecture + Interior Design Africa.
The first day of the conference (6th August) is themed INSIGHT INFLUENCE INSPIRATION
will focus on exploring the creative side of architectural and interior design projects and the inspirational work being done on the continent.
Speakers sharing their knowledge on Thursday 6th August include:
- Joanne Valasis - co-founder of Atmos Architecture and Design which explores design across a wide range of scales and disciplines with the goal of enabling poetic and progressive solutions. Their experience covers a variety of projects ranging from smaller scale interior to larger inner city rejuvenation developments in collaboration with Propertuity (the developers behind the Maboneng Precint).
- Aidan Hart - creative director of InHouse Brand Architects. Aidan is best known for his expansive thinking and ability to push the envelope for clients resulting in several awards for his work. He brings a design-solution based work ethic to the company while his passion for quality and delivery, drive every project.
- Yvonne O'Brien - well-known interior designer and owner of The Private House Company. Yvonne creates rooms and interior spaces that are understated, personal and quietly refined. She feels a good room is richly layered while it maintains a simple restraint, and is known for her signature elegant African touches.
- Nico van der Meulen - CEO of Nico van der Meulen Architects. He is the owner and founder of the highly acclaimed architectural firm, Nico van der Meulen Architects, which was established in 1984. Nico initially studied civil engineering, explored project management and then discovered his passion and finally registered as a professional architect.
is the theme for Day 2 of the conference (7th August), which focuses on the business side of architecture and interior design, where speakers will share their knowledge and experience relating to business thinking within design and architecture.
The line-up of speakers sharing business insight on 7th includes:
- Gavin Mageni - Head of the Design Institute at SABS. Gavin and his team work hard to realise the institute's mission to be a centre that promotes, educates, supports and facilitates the importance of Design as a national change agent. This in turn, he believes, will aid in improving South Africa's competitiveness, by unlocking the economic value and direct socio-economic contribution that design can bring to our economy.
- Daniel van der Merwe - architect for PPC and current President of GIfA (Gauteng Institute for Architecture). Daniel has lectured and mentored many architectural students and more recently joined PPC and is involved in the PPC Imaginarium - a mentoring, profiling and support orientated platform to promote young emerging designers and artists. Daniel is also president of the Gauteng Institute of Architects, which also keep him busy and involved in the architectural industry and oversee the region.
- Jaco Maritz - editor of How We Made It In Africa, an intelligent online publication that offers unique insight into Africa's business environment. The publication is aimed at African business people as well as foreign investors with an interest in the continent. Jaco's talk will focus on trends in property development (such as shopping centres, hotels, etc) and areas in the rest of the continent where there could be opportunity for South African companies.
Architecture + Interior Design Africa forms part of the Decorex Joburg trade programme
, which includes the conference as well as a trade only preview morning, business match-making and a trade networking function.
Attendees are encouraged to attend both days to fully benefit from the exciting speaker line-up, with a discounted package available for those attending both days of the two-day event.Book your ticket now
for Architecture + Interior Design Africa, seats are limited.Architecture + Interior Design Africa details:
Thursday 6th & Friday 7th August
Gallagher Convention Centre
Day 1INSIGHT - INFLUENCE - INSPIRATION: Exploring creativity in Africa
12:30 - 16:00
Day 2BUILDING AFRICA: The business behind design
09:00 - 12:30
Conference package - R1200 per person per person includes vat, trade entry to Decorex Joburg/100% Design South Africa and networking activities
One day attendance - R750 per person includes vat, trade entry to Decorex Joburg/100% Design South Africa and networking activities Decorex Joburg details: Dates:
6-10 August 2015Trade Access:
Trade-only preview morning: 6th August 10am-1pm
Trade focused days: 6th and 7th August
To register as trade or to find out more about the trade programme visit www.decorex.co.zaWhere:
Gallagher Convention Centre, Midrand
For more information visit www.decorex.co.za
Facebook: Decorex SA
Decorex Joburg forms part of the Decorex SA portfolio and is owned by the Thebe Reed Exhibitions.