- When your dream job is a nightmare
- B-BBEE is not just a compliance exercise, but an opportunity for economic growth
- How to create a more gender-friendly workplace
Chief Technology Officer
|Remuneration:||R40000 - R60000 per month Negotiable depending on experience|
|Location:||Cape Town, Sunningdale|
|Job level:||Management Snr|
|Own transport required:||Yes|
Job descriptionCornerstone Institute is registered as a not-for-profit company (NPC) with the Department of Higher Education institution under the Higher Education Act, 1997, Registration Certificate No 2001/HE08/006. As a higher education institution Cornerstone focuses on learning and teaching in service of others to advance human dignity and social justice. For more information see: https://cornerstone.ac.za
The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) will lead Cornerstone’s ongoing commitment to and delivery of effective and relevant services in the field of information and communications technology. He/ she will support and promote the strategic use of information technology to assist the institution to realise its mission. The CTO is the senior executive who is responsible for the stability, reliability and security of information and communications technology systems and services, and of online learning and teaching platforms and content.
The CTO serves as the principal technology leader for the university guiding the mission and key outcomes to measure for developing and implementing information technology strategies and initiatives in line with national and global trends in post-school and higher education, and professional development and learning. The CTO and the departments and units of the environment must serve, be responsive and include the relevant offices of each faculty and all faculty departments. This requires a high level of skill and engagement with the various internal stakeholders and a measurable commitment to meeting the diverse ICT and learning technology needs of all environments and specifically also the discipline-specific needs of the different programmes offered at Cornerstone Institute. The CTO is responsible for anticipating and maintaining a vision for the future technology needs at Cornerstone Institute, and for recommending and implementing strategies, priorities, projects and programmes that will best achieve the organisation’s strategic goals and objectives.
A key responsibility of the CTO includes the development and effective implementation of the organisational strategy for its Online Teaching and Learning and IT Unit. To achieve this the CTO will lead a team of IT and online learning specialists. The strategy will include:
- Partnering with IT leaders to develop the institution-wide strategic technology infrastructure roadmap
- Designing innovative technology strategies for academic research, learning and teaching and extended programmes, applicable to both contact and virtual/digital modes, which is responsive and current in relation to a constantly changing environment
Reporting to the CEO, the CTO will lead and manage the IT Infrastructure and Online Learning and Teaching Technologies, including academic and administrative computing, networking, support services, classroom and instructional technology, programming services and telecommunications.
Qualifications, knowledge and skill requirements:
The qualifications and skill requirements for this position include:
- The minimum educational qualification is a degree in a technology-related area, with further training in Business Administration as a recommendation.
- Senior management experience in organisational ICT operations
- Senior experience in all aspects of information technology planning, development and implementation, including but not limited to enterprise resource planning, systems architecture, telecommunications, database administration, Web and social media development and security and compliance issues;
- Broad technical knowledge and skills, with the ability to demonstrate this thorough knowledge and understanding of current computing, telecommunications and emerging technologies;
- Practical experience with recent developments in campus technology issues, effective oral and written communication capabilities, a commitment to customer service, and excellent presentation skills;
- Management experience in higher education;
- Extensive experience with IT strategic planning, budgeting, and people management;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the ways and methods by which technology supports the teaching/learning environment;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with an attention to detail;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Demonstrated experience and skill in negotiating with vendors, contractors, and others;
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, and students;
- High energy level, enjoyment of challenges and a fast-paced environment, and a record of self-motivation and personal initiative.
The essential job functions and responsibilities include:
- Ensure IT data security, risk management, disaster recovery and business continuity planning processes are in place and receive a regular review for currency and adequacy;
- Responsibility for developing collaborations among the CI academic and administrative stakeholders to advance CI's mission especially with regards to the implementation of the vision for online learning and teaching;
- Strategic leadership to develop the strategic direction for information technology services, gauging and anticipating the diverse needs of university constituents, monitoring trends and innovations in the industry to meet those needs; developing and implementing strategic long and short-term technology plans; and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership;
- Exercise diligent evaluation and careful budgetary management, including budget preparation and the ability to analyse and resolve complex issues;
- Develop and organise technology talent that is structured to efficiently deliver services across the organisation;
- Develop, successfully implement, and oversee strategic technology policies throughout Cornerstone Institute;
- Works with the student services professionals and student representative structures to engage with student feedback on, and requirements for how students experience learning technology, including with regard to its integration with the actual environments where students live and study.
- Conducts ongoing assessment, planning and oversight of the proper management of all academic and administrative technology and daily service delivery;
- Provides leadership, guidance, supervision and performance management of all departments and staff reporting to the CTO;
- Participate in the annual budget process, and specifically for institutional technology needs, including IT operational, maintenance and capital budgets, develops and maintains the institution’s IT plan;
- Maintain the integrity and strategic development of the CI's information and communications infrastructure, and the systems infrastructure for mission-critical functions;
- Participates in strategic and operational planning committees;
- Maintains strong vendor relationships and manages contract and service agreements;
- Establishes and/or collaborates with line reporting departments to establish departmental goals, objectives, operating and quality assurance procedures;
- Develops and maintains an IT organisational structure designed to meet institutional needs and demands, assessing and identifying the most cost-effective investment of financial resources toward IT systems, staffing, daily operations, product purchases and/or in-house development activities;
- Prioritises and controls the IT project demands; negotiates prioritisation and timelines as appropriate and necessary;
- Manages regular IT personnel Performance Appraisal processes and completion;
- Supports sourcing and providing both IT staff and institution-wide IT related training opportunities;
- Ensures the security of IT systems and ensures operations adhere to applicable laws and regulations;
- Cultivates and manages strategic relationships with both internal and external constituents;
- Performs other duties and functions as delegated or instructed.
- Learning management systems
- Content development
- Project management
- People management
Posted on 05 May 08:53
Apply by emailBasier Dramat
Or apply with your Biz CV
Create your CV once, and thereafter you can apply to this ad and future job ads easily.