Rapid Blue, one of the leading production companies in Africa, is looking for an Executive Producer / Showrunner to join and provide leadership to the team. This person will be responsible for setting and leading the strategic and creative vision from conception through to final delivery and compliance.
The role requires an established Executive Producer who will work on productions, often with large budgets and significant reputational value. They will provide editorial flair, innovation and strong, visible leadership to everyone working on their show(s) and play a leadership role as part of the wider department. They will exercise considerable discretion within broad limits of editorial guidelines, manage diverse production team(s) and project manage programmes from idea to delivery.
Closing date for applications: 14 February 2022
Start date: 1 April 2022
- Be editorially, financially and managerially responsible for a range of production outputs.
- EP a range of both scripted and unscripted shows.
- Innovate and evolve the company strategy, anticipate audience needs & maintain relevance on all existing and future platforms.
- Ensure programmes/content are delivered on time and within budget, encouraging the highest possible creative standards throughout.
- Work on Commissioning Agreements, FLA Contracts & SLA’s.
- Display a commitment to creating both diverse content and teams to reflect our audiences and ensuring best practice.
- Manage interface with clients, channels, key talent and production teams.
- Oversee all elements of production including all compliance training and Health & Safety / Covid-19 protocols.
- Participate in weekly Producers’ Meetings.
- Play a key ambassadorial role in ensuring Rapid Blue has effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with the Heads of Development to identify key formats for SA and the broader continent.
- Initiate and drive the development of RB IP and original ideas for pitching and win new business, playing a key role in the Commissioning process, where required.
- Work with Heads of Development in responding to channel briefs and client needs
- Take a lead role in driving forward new projects and new ways of working, collaborating with other departments.
- Provide clear direction, editorial insight and quality control for both ongoing and newly commissioned projects.
- Search for business opportunities though out the continent and internationally.
- Travel when necessary to pitch and develop client relations.
- Meet with potential clients/broadcasters/advertisers/format holders – initiate and build strong business relationships and scan for business opportunities.
- Ongoing Client Relationship Management.
- Cost and deal structure original and format ideas for pitching and in response to briefs.
- Keep up with new developments in platforms, content, distribution.
- Ensure compliance with the Rapid Blue editorial guidelines.
Email the following documents to moc.eulbdipar@sboj
, with “Executive Producer” as the subject:
If you do not receive feedback within 3 weeks of applying, you may consider your application unsuccessful.
- CV with 2 contactable references
- Cover letter (tell us why we should pick you!)
- Copy of qualifications or letter from institution
- Copy of ID
Visit us at https://rapidblue.com/Education requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in industry-related qualification.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- 10-15 years of successful professional experience working on different forms of television programmes (scripted and unscripted, commissions and co-productions, production and facilitation ideal).
- Track record of editorial vision and delivery and experience of working on high budget, high profile productions.
- Strong experience developing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external partners, including co-production partners or similar.
- Experience working with different broadcasters and clients.
- Track record of delivering high quality content with passion for media and understanding audience trends.
- Experience ensuring that teams work to deadlines and are supported sufficiently to deliver their best work.
- Experience contributing to the overall strategic management of a department/genre.
- Evidence of strong leadership and effective team management, ensuring staff members receive development and manage performance.
- Planning and organising skills.
- Ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, prioritising, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities.
- Able to create a clear editorial vision for the lifecycle of content across all platforms.
- Able to demonstrate strong editorial judgment in a fast-moving environment.
- Financial acumen and a strong sense of driving best value for the production budget.
- Able to generate and manage budgets, control costs and maximise value across all expenditure.
- Proven ability to develop innovative content, be open to new ideas and motivate colleagues to take creative risks, within the Rapid Blue parameters.
- Demonstrable passion for creating content for the appropriate audience and knowledge of those subjects which inform, educate & entertain the audience.
- Exceptional Excel and financial programmes knowledge.
- Great command of spoken and written English.
- Thorough knowledge of all Rapid Blue’s legal, contractual agreements and regulations as they apply to programme making, broadcasting and digital media.
- Thorough knowledge of industry trends and innovations worldwide, creating effective networks and feed back into the business.
Started in 1993 by Duncan and Kee-Leen Irvine, Rapid Blue is built on passion, strategic thinking, innovation, quality and deep insights into our audiences. We’ve grown from a boutique business into a production powerhouse, infusing a host of global hits with local flavour, developing original content, creating authentic brand experiences, winning loads of awards and building deep, lasting relationships.
Our productions and facilitations include Dancing With the Stars, The Bachelor, Family Feud, Got Talent, Shark Tank, Come Dine With Me, Love Island, and I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here to name just a few.
Creativity and agility are at the heart of what we do and we’re experts at finding innovative and cost effective solutions to any content challenge that comes our way. Whether it is a television commission or developing content around a brand’s marketing strategy, we’re able to draw on our incredible production experience and world class networks to create talked-about content that makes a measurable difference to our clients and their audiences. We are currently proposing a number of broadcast and online solutions for various clients who are facing unprecedented challenges due to the worldwide pandemic of Covid-19.
Rapid Blue is all about strategy, process, craft and collaboration and we’ll work hard to get to know a brand, channel or platform to make sure we deliver on their objectives as seamlessly and as swiftly as possible. We are experts in putting together advertiser funded programming, with a track record of hit-shows that have had a positive impact on our clients’ bottom line. We’re able to align brands with the world’s biggest entertainment formats, or create something bespoke that truly gets a brand’s message out there.
Online and mobile are the strongest platforms for turning content into personal, intuitive and accessible experiences, especially for mobile-conscious African audiences, where broadcast access may be limited. We know how to adapt content designed for on-air viewers to non-linear creative strategies for online consumers.
BBC Studios invested in Rapid Blue in 2016 and we are their production partners in Africa, having produced The Great South African Bake Off, the evergreen Come Dine With Me and, a new offering, First Dates South Africa.
Posted on 14 Jan 15:45, Closing date 15 Feb